Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Winloader.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

Ok, I know this issue has been beaten to death but seriously... I have went through the motions on every forum post I could possibly bring up on Google. I'm running an Emachine T6212 and I'm trying to install Windows Vista Ultimate and I get the winload.exe missing or corrupt when it tries to start every time. I have went through and done the bcdedit checks and modifications and nothing fixed it. I have tried the install to a separate hard drive from within my current Windows XP install and I have also unplugged my system drive and plugged in a completely separate 25gig drive and tried a solo install and got the same results each time. I've tried the repair function from multiple different versions of the cd and I've even went to the torrents and hrm.. well obtained different varieties of the Vista OS and got the SAME RESULTS EACH TIME. I'm at a loss... ANYONE? Any suggestions welcome displaying my gratitude upfront. I mean, is my machine incapable of running the Vista OS, is there some type of hardware conflict that I am missing? I'm not running anything special, straight from the factory the only thing I've added is a secondary AGP ATI video card. The hard drive is different, the original died a month or so ago, and I've added an additional 2gb to the 512mb of memory that came preinstalled. I ran the Vista memtest up until 75% of test 2 of 2 with no errors (I canceled it - I don't suspect a memory problem, or hdd issue for that matter). I dunno...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

Is your DVD drive SATA or IDE? Is your hard drive SATA or IDE? Could it be that the proper drivers for the SATA weren't loaded when first setting up the installation?

Edited by usasma, 21 December 2008 - 11:06 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

It is IDE but I have been thinking along those same lines... it gets to the bootloader, and the bootloader will load Windows XP fine but when I try to load Vista it's like it doesn't see the drive or maybe it does see the drive but when it trys to load the winloader it bombs out because it's using a bad driver for the controller or something. Unfortunately I havn't had any luck on located a driver for the controller on my system. It's a Emachine T6212 with an MSI n1996 motherboard AMD based with ATI chipset

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

Since it's IDE, it isn't what I was thinking.

Try accessing Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

Edited by usasma, 21 December 2008 - 03:55 PM.
Brain cramp

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

I've tried that as well... from multiple different DVDs. It says it copies over a new version of the bootloader but it still produces the same error afterwards.

#6 midnight51

midnight51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

This is a relatively old machine in terms of when Vista was released, I'm sure Vista was probably still in beta stages and this is a fairly generic motherboard that has different variations including versions with Intel chipsets. I'm almost certain it is a hardware conflict. I have tried with different ram and got the same results also, tried with only 1 stick even, the stick I used to install in the current machine, same error...

Something also to note is that the HDD that I am currently using on this fresh Vista install was one of the drives I tried in the Emachine PC where I got the error so it can't be the HDD either...

Edited by midnight51, 21 December 2008 - 04:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users