Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP boot files are split amongst two hard drives (I think)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lusher00

lusher00

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

I had a copy of Windows XP Professional installed on a 74GB hard drive. The OS began acting funky and I had just tried to update my bios so I wasnít sure if it was the OS or it was the bios so I decided to install Windows on one of my 250GB hard drives. After I did that I realized that 74GB wasnít enough for my OS anyways so I would keep the new install. But now my system drive is D which isnt a huge problem but itís a little annoying and a few programs I install HAVE to be on C. Donít ask me why, Xilinx just sucks (anyone using Zinlinx knows what I am talking about)
I also wanted to install Slacware on the 74GB hard drive. Well I did that and nothing would boot. The bios coldnt find a bootable disk. So I went into recovery console and reinstalled the bootloader on the 74GB hard drive. Well it turns out that neither disk will boot on its own anymore. The windows bootloader is on C and boot.ini is on D and I cant find a combination that will allow either one to boot on its own.
What I want to do is make the 250GB disk bootable on its own and show up as C. I have tried fixmbr, fixboot and bootcfg on the 250GB disk and none of them fix anything. I have ntldr and ntdetect.com on the drive along with boot.ini. I think I am just missing the boot sector.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

Try this:
  • Remove the 74GB drive.
  • Connect the 250GB drive with Windows on it as the primary master drive.
  • Boot into the Recovery Console.
  • Use fixboot and fixmbr
  • Reboot and see if Windows loads.
If it does then:

Shut down.
  • Connect the 74GB drive as the Primary Slave
  • Boot your Linux installation CD
  • install Linux on the 74GB drive
If Windows does not load then post back here for more troubleshooting.

If there are any steps you don't understand or have questions about then ask before doing anything.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 20 December 2008 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users