Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insecure Internet Activity. Threat of Virus Attack

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 awickedtease

awickedtease

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

I must first start off by saying I have minimal to no knowledge of the ins and outs of my computer, but can follow basic directions. So please bear with me as I need the most direct approach possible to fix this.
Due to my computer running extremely slow I was advised to do a disk clean up and defrag, which I rarely do but now know better. I was also told that IE was having some security problems so got rid of that and installed Fire Fox. At this time I also went to Microsoft and updated Windows Defender, installed Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, and going through updates went from Windows XP service pack 2 to 3.And here I thought I was doing good.
Now I keep getting a pop up stating:
Insecure Internet Activity. Threat of Virus Attack, which I see you are familiar with.
I have run Windows Defender, the malicious software removal tool and a full scan using AVG Anti Virus. Of course not showing any problems or I would not have ended up here. I am now running a scan using Malwarebytes and hope to have a report soon.(2 and a half hours running and so far 49 objects infected, :thumbsup: )
Is there anything else I should/could be doing in the mean time, to help the progress along?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 awickedtease

awickedtease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

The scan using Malwarebytes has finished. I restarted my computer and while coming back to this site the problem still remains.

Now what??

Here is a copy of the log :

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1526
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/20/2008 6:50:00 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-20 (18-50-00).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 66528
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 36 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 34
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 7
Files Infected: 7

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\vtuoopgg (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{031cbf6a-c70e-4177-a0d4-c5268ee311fb} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{bdddf1a5-51a9-4f51-b38d-4cd0ad831b31} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{42f2c9ba-614f-47c0-b3e3-ecfd34eed658} (Adware.ISTBar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{100eb1fd-d03e-47fd-81f3-ee91287f9465} (Adware.Shopping.Report) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{c5428486-50a0-4a02-9d20-520b59a9f9b2} (Adware.Shopping.Report) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{c5428486-50a0-4a02-9d20-520b59a9f9b3} (Adware.Shopping.Report) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{b64f4a7c-97c9-11da-8bde-f66bad1e3f3a} (Rogue.WinAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6fd31ed6-7c94-4bbc-8e95-f927f4d3a949} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{8fcdf9d9-a28b-480f-8c3d-581f119a8ab8} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{deceaaa2-370a-49bb-9362-68c3a58ddc62} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{5b4c3b43-49b6-42a7-a602-f7acdca0d409} (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\icheck (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\GetModule (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ONESTEP_SEARCH_SERVICE (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\contim (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\instkey (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\OneStepSearch (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\iCheck (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\GetModule (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Antivirus2008y (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelly\Application Data\gadcom (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelly\Application Data\Antivirus2008y (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelly\Start Menu\Antivirus2008y (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtUooPgG.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\OneStepSearch\onestep.dll (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\OneStepSearch\osopt.exe (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\OneStepSearch\uninstall.exe (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\iCheck\Uninstall.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelly\Start Menu\Antivirus2008y\Antivirus 2008.lnk (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelly\Start Menu\Antivirus2008y\Uninstall Antivirus 2008.lnk (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#3 awickedtease

awickedtease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

Unsure of what to do now.

Edited by awickedtease, 20 December 2008 - 07:42 PM.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

Hi and welcome to BC!

Please update and rerun Malwarebytes using the following instructions and post a new log.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

################################################################
Next Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

Since this is a lot to read/run. You may wish to print this post.

Good luck and let me know if you have any problems

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 awickedtease

awickedtease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

I think I may have rebooted incorrectly as I do not have any idea how to do it in safe mode.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

Take a look here and see if this helps...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
Check out the XP area

If you can, go ahead and get a Malwarebytes log

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 awickedtease

awickedtease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

2nd Malwarebytes report :

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1526
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/20/2008 10:25:08 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-20 (22-25-08).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 66567
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 25 minute(s), 39 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Moving on to the SDFix part,wish me luck.

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

Awesome... now please run SDFix... It will give us a deeper look. Thanks!

#9 awickedtease

awickedtease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

Looks like my luck did not come in time. I am now using a different computer as mine has froze.
I downloaded SDFix,minimized my page to see if the icon was on my desktop.It is there.Went to close window for downloads and it would not close.Hit CTRL ALT Delete and Windows Task came up.It now will not do anything!The cursor will not even allow me to get to the task bars,so can't even click start.So now showing my desk top with the Windows Task on top of the downloads window.
Now what to I do???
Bleeping computer?? You could bleep out about 30 minutes solid of what I think about my computer at this moment.

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

Can you get into safe mode?

#11 awickedtease

awickedtease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:37 PM

Was waiting for a reply before I manually shut down my computer. I suppose I can try,it's not like I can do much else.Will let you know and thank you so,so much for the help.

#12 awickedtease

awickedtease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Was able to shut it down and reboot in safe mode.
Next step?
Don't run SDFix with out first removing anti virus and firewalls,right?.Can I do that still in safe mode?
Almost midnight here and have a horrible cold on top of my frustrations with the computer.I will check back tomorrow.

#13 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Yes, if you can. Take your time. I know this computer is being a pain for you. I hope you feel better soon :thumbsup:

#14 awickedtease

awickedtease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

Rigel,
I scanned using SDFix as directed,yet the Insecure Internet Activity pop up still remains!!!
So my next step is to post a HijackThis log?But I don't do that here,or do I?

Checking Files :

No Trojan Files Found

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-12-23 00:08:39
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Rigel,
I scanned using SDFix as directed,yet the Insecure Internet Activity pop up still remains!!!
So my next step is to post a HijackThis log?But I don't do that here,or do I?

Checking Files :

No Trojan Files Found

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-12-23 00:08:39
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

#15 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

One more scan :thumbsup:

If this doesn't fix things, then yes, HJT time...

Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner
Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!
Follow the Instruction here for installation.
Accept the License Agreement.
Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
Once the download completes, the scan will begin automatically.
The scan will take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.
Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users