Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MatrixMario

MatrixMario

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the problem by reformatting my computer, and now I have another problem and I didn't want to start anoter topic. So now my computer turns on and it says that windows did not start up sucessfully. It gives me 5 options:
- Turn on with Safe Mode
- Turn on with Safe Mode with Networking
- Turn on with Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- Return to the last known good configuration
- Start Windows Normally
No matter what I choose, my computer starts up normally with the windows loading screen. After it finishes, instead of going to the desktop, it turns black then my monitor says "monitor going to sleep". My computer is still running and I can't get out of it except holding the power button to turn it off or the restart button. =/

Edited by MatrixMario, 20 December 2008 - 09:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Could you let us know the make and model of your system? I'm trying to determine if you've got a SATA or IDE hard drive (and if the drivers for that were loaded while the OS was being installed).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MatrixMario

MatrixMario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

I am sorry but I am not really sure at all =/ I bought this computer about 7 years ago at this small computer store. There has been a couple of times where I had to replace the power supply because it fried so I had 2 new motherboards. I would of bought a new computer but I'm kinda on a low budget. What I can tell you is it has a 1.8GHz processor, 512MB ram, and a 40GB HDD. Sorry but that's all I know =/ Unless you can tell me how I could check by opening up the computer and checking it, since I can't get on to the computer.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

Not a problem. Since it's a 40 gB hard drive, it's unlikely that it's a SATA drive - so that rules out the issues that I was thinking of.

Do you have a Windows installation CD? Can you boot from it? I'm looking to see if you can get into the Recovery Console ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) to run some commands

Also, I'd suggest that you run a hard drive diagnostic on your hard drive. To do this, you'll need to know the make/model of your hard drive.
Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Click on the + sign next to the Disk Drives entry and let us know what it says in the entry for your drive there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MatrixMario

MatrixMario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

Yea, I reformatted with a Windows XP home edition CD. I would try to do whatever your suggesting but remember, I can't get past the loading screen lol After it finishes loading wndows, it doesn't even make it to the desktop, it just stops and turns black, and my monitor says "Monitor going to sleep" so I guess there's some sort of inactivity going on there. (I'm on my friend's computer btw)

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

Sorry, forgot about the boot thing.

I'd suggest that you open up your case and take a look at the hard drive. Armed with the manufacturer's name, visit this thread for directions to a bootable diagnostic test available from the hard drive manufacturer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Also, boot from the Windows XP Home CD and select "R" at the first screen. Then use the link above for further instructions.

Once in the Recovery Console, type these commands:

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

CHKDSK /R

Press Enter after each one, and answer "Y" (for yes) to any questions that it asks you.
Once the last one is done, try to boot into Windows.

Edited by usasma, 21 December 2008 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users