Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't empty recycle bin, even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 help!

help!

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Hi,
I have win 98 SE, I have tried many different things, but I still can't empty one thing in my recycle bin. It's something that's been stuck in there for a long time (bankrate.com, etc.) I tried in safe mode too! any suggestion? thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

Hi help!

Click on (START - CONTROL PANEL - Add/Remove programs) and see if they installed something on your computer. It may reference bankrate.com. Also look around and see if you notice anything else that maybe different. Any other icons show up on your desktop?

If you can't get it off, try this:

Download and install SpyBot Search and Destroy and also Ad Aware from the links at the bottom of my post. After you install them, check for updates for each program. Run scans and let the programs remove any found spyware.

Please post back and let us know if that took care of the problem.

Good Luck,

Rigel

Edited by rigelslight, 15 May 2005 - 06:50 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:53 PM

Hi help!

Reboot your computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key until you come to a black and white screen with a menu. Using the arrow keys select Safe mode Command Prompt. Shortly you will see C:\> and then type the following exactly as shown pressing enter after each line:

cd recycled
Dir

You will now see the contents of the Recycle bin. On the right will be the items you want to delete similiar to thisPosted Image

In my example I want to delete DC0.GIF and DC1.com (which are the only files there) so the next thing I type in would be :

DEL DC0.GIF
DEL DC1.COM

Pressing enter after each line. In your case your files will be named right under the lines below:

. <DIR> 11-08-04 12:22p .
.. <DIR> 11-08-04 12:22p ..

The third line and subsequent lines you will see contain the filenames you would substitute for my DC0.GIF and DC1.COM. That is DCzero and DCone.

That was fun. If you don't want to do any Dos, download and install CCleaner. You can either run CCleaner to do a general cleanup of junk and temp files on your whole computer or just right click the recycle bin and select Run CCleaner. This will delete those files but it might require a reboot.

There are three tabs in CCleaner; Windows, Applications and Issues. The Issues tab pertains to cleaning the registry and should not be used unless you have a specific issue with the registry and even then its best that you ask for some advice in these forums before doing anything unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are about to do.

Edited by Leurgy, 15 May 2005 - 06:57 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

Hi help!

I agree with Leurgy. His method works to get rid of the file you wanted removed. My thought maybe some sort of spyware has installed itself on your computer disallowing you to delete that file. bankrate.com is a site that quotes bankrates. (I know ... Duh!) Anyways, follow Leurgy's instructions and remove the offending file. After that take a look at the things I said. There still maybe a program installed on your pc.

Good luck,

Rigel

PS... nice call Leurgy. I got tunnel vision.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:31 AM

Ah the plot thickens!

Leurgy: A reall challeng for you!
(or anyone else who can help...)

I tried the add/remove, nothing strange
I regularly use spybot and ad aware, so that's not it!
I went in to safe mode, just like you said, and this is what it showed:

. <DIR>
.. <DIR>
DC24 <DIR>

(I don't know how to paste in a copy of the actual screen like you did...how did you do that?...anyway......)

so I typed DEL DC24.DIR and that didn't work
so I typed DEL DC24.<DIR> and that didn't work

so I typed DEL DC24 and it said "all files in directly will be deleted"
so I guess it liked the DEL DC24 alone!
I answered Y (I had to choose yes or no--y or n)
I tried small and capital Y
it just kept saying "bad command or file name"

so I downloaded Ccleaner and ran it
it said:
"Cannot delete Bankrate.com Mortgage rates, CD rates,: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and filename"

but it did delete a bunch of other stuff! I hop I didn't need anything it deleted...there was no way to choose whether to delete all or not (and I forgot to do it on just the recycle bin, so it did it on the whole computer)

so this bank rate thing is REALLY STUCK in there!!

anything else I can try?
thanks so much

by the way, I also didn't know how to exit out of the safe mode from the c:\; I tried typing in exit but it didn't do anything, so I did control, alt, delete, hope that's ok?

Denise

p.s. to rigelslight, no tunnel vision! you were just trying to help....thanks!

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

by the way, I also didn't know how to exit out of the safe mode from the c:\; I tried typing in exit but it didn't do anything, so I did control, alt, delete, hope that's ok?

Hi help! This link will take you to detailed info. regarding Safe Mode.

Bleeping Computer's- Safe Mode Tutorial
Posted Image

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:28 AM

Hi Denise

This plot does thicken :thumbsup: Stubborn little son of a gun, isnt it?

so I did control, alt, delete, hope that's ok?

Thats how I do it. Does not create problems as so little is running at that point.

(I don't know how to paste in a copy of the actual screen like you did...how did you do that?...anyway......)

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows . If you would like to play around with screenshots you can do so in our Tests and Scribbles forum. I use Irfanview to edit/resize my screenshots and PhotoBucket to host them. (Can't believe scarlett didn't mention this as she's one of our experts in that department).

Did you try to right click on the recycle bin and then select Run CCleaner?

Back in the Safe Mode Command Prompt we'll use a different command. You can't delete a directory using Del and I assumed this was a file due to the .com extension. The <Dir> indicates its a directory. so try:

RD C:\Recycled\DC24

If that doesn't work its because that directory contains files or other directories. In that event try:

DELTREE C:\Recycled\DC24 /Y

So now that your a Dos expert................... :flowers:

CCleaner is a very safe program so don't worry that it deleted something neccessary. I've yet to hear of that happening.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:38 AM

(Can't believe scarlett didn't mention this as she's one of our experts in that department).

It is obvious that my head was not where it belonged. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

Hi,
wow! you guys are good!

ok, I right clicked on the recycle bin and selected run clcleaner and SEEMS to have worked!! (and that was stuck in there for about 3 years!) ;

But WHY when I ran the Ccleaner earlier today, from the desktop, (and the checkmarks indicated it was including the recycle bin) why didn't it delete it then? (inquiring minds want to know!)

just to be sure, I then went into safe mode, and went to cd recycled and it doesn't appear to be there!!

also, when you said (just for future reference) to type RD C:\Recycled\DC24 did you mean right from the c:\ prompt, or did you mean I should go to cd recycled as I did before first? and then type the rd thing?

also, re earlier question about saving a screen and posting it here, I can save and put something in "wordpad"; can I then just cut and paste from there to a forum? it seems a lot easier than getting into this irfanview and photobucket thing (I'm on tekky overload right now!)

lastly, how will I know if someone who helped me before (like Leurgy) will get this thank you message? and is there an automatic way for me to get e-mails when someone posts to something I started?

thanks (so many questions!)
Denise

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

also, re earlier question about saving a screen and posting it here, I can save and put something in "wordpad"; can I then just cut and paste from there to a forum? it seems a lot easier than getting into this irfanview and photobucket thing (I'm on tekky overload right now!)

If you have Microsoft Paint. You can capture a screenshot with it. It would save you the step of installing InfranView.

Now I may be wrong here. But I do not think that you can cut/paste an image to this forum, using WordPad. I just tried it and I could not do it. I may be missing something though.

(If I am wrong. Please someone, let me know how this is done.)

It would still be best if you used a photo hosting site, such as Photobucket. In order to post any image here at BC. It is not really a good idea to post a full scale image. With a hosting site such as Photobucket. You will have the ability to post a link to the image. This makes it easier on those on dial-up. Since the loading of the pages would take much longer. A much more polite way. :thumbsup:

If the image is a small/medium one. Then it would be ok, to post it directly.

The thread linked below, may be helpful.

Inserting an Image Within a Post

Edited by scarlett, 17 May 2005 - 10:12 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

Thats great Denise. Glad to see you finally got rid of that stuff after so long.

But WHY when I ran the Ccleaner earlier today, from the desktop, (and the checkmarks indicated it was including the recycle bin) why didn't it delete it then? (inquiring minds want to know!)

Guess you'll have to keep inquiring cause I'm not sure. :thumbsup: I'm going to guess that running CCleaner by right clicking the Recycle Bin is a more advanced deletion technique than the one used when CCleaner cleans the whole computer. When CCleaner cleans the whole computer it can't delete some of the files until you reboot.

also, when you said (just for future reference) to type RD C:\Recycled\DC24 did you mean right from the c:\ prompt, or did you mean I should go to cd recycled as I did before first? and then type the rd thing?

When you type in cd recycled it changes the directory (cd=change directory) from the root of C: (C:\>) to the recycled directory (C:\Recycled>) so that the Dos commands you enter, like Del DC24 (Del =Delete) will be effective in the directory that you are working in.

When I said to type in RD C:\Recycled\DC24 I wasn't very clear and I can see your confusion. What we were telling Dos to do with that command was to remove the directory (RD) called DC24 that it will find at C:\Recycled and you can do that from C:\>. If you were to cd Recycled to get C:\Recycled and typed in RD C:\Recycled\DC24 it would still work but you really don't need to change to the Recycled directory to do that. By the way, for clarification, Directorys can contain Folders and files but a folder can only contain files. If you put a folder in a folder the first folder becomes a directory. :flowers:

If you want to try this you can make a directory on your desktop from the Safe Mode Command Prompt or the regular Command Prompt by booting to a Command Prompt with F8 and when you get to C:\> type in cd Desktop to get C:\Desktop> and then type in MD Denise

(MD=Make Directory) When you boot to windows you will have a folder on your desktop called Denise.

lastly, how will I know if someone who helped me before (like Leurgy) will get this thank you message?

Most people I would think, have email notification turned on by default in their preferences. I do anyway.

and is there an automatic way for me to get e-mails when someone posts to something I started?

When you post a reply, down under the smilies below the reply box is a box you can check off that says email notification of replies. That way you will get an email anytime someone posts into a thread that you either start or reply in, as long as you check the thread each time you get an email. You don't have to do it right away but you will only get one email per thread until you check back in to the thread.

Also go to the My Control Panel link at the top of this page and when you get in there, under Options on the left side click Email settings and check off "Enable 'Email Notification' by default?"

Enabling this option will automatically subscribe you to any topic you start or reply to.

There are other email options there too.

So how do you like doing Dos? :trumpet:

#12 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

photobucket and infranview will have to wait, I'm on computer info overload! and going bananas!
(hope this banana smiley comes thru! not sure if I did it right!)

:thumbsup:

also I tried to put in a quote here below from what Leurgy said below
but I'm not sure I got that right either! (I'm trying to add in the quote: "so how do you like doing DOS")

[QUOTE]

ok, re DOS, let's not go crazy now! I'm still working out getting these kinks out of my win98! I could handle that small amount of DOS we did to get the recycle problem fixed, but I have so much to learn!

thanks!

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:38 PM

Well, stick around help! and you'll learn lots. All you have to do is ask and there are lots of friendly people around to give you the answers.

Speaking of Dos, before you know it, we'll have you writing batch files. :thumbsup:

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:28 PM

Using the Quote thingie is a simple trick once you understand that in HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language used on web pages) you have to close any tag you use. So if you use the QUOTE tag, you have to follow it with a /QUOTE tag at the end of the text you're quoting. (Just imagine that there are brackets around my "QUOTE" tags. ) When making web pages, you would usually use the < type bracket instead of the straight brackets used here. (such as: <quote> and </quote>) But this type of website uses the squarish brackets instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users