Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello and Thanks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pizzaandbeer

pizzaandbeer

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:36 PM

I found this site while I was researching some problems my computer was having. I had spent most of two weekends (when I should have been Christmas shopping!) trying and failing to get my computer cleaned. I was pretty sure I had Vundo and/or MS Juan (fake anti-virus window constantly opening and re-installing itself, randomly named DLLs) At one point, McAfee claimed it had quarantined a Trojan, but eventually McAfee and Windows Update settings were corrupted and I could not get the latest updates. I think I even had a fake Windows Security center program running. I thought I had figured out when the problem started and tried use system restore to load a clean configuration. My problems just got worse.

I found a link to Symantec's Vundo removal tool. I installed it and after it churned on my computer for over three hours, it reported that my system did not have Vundo. I decided it was time to take the plunge and join bleeping computer. The problem I have is that with all the junk out there, how do I know that I can trust someone who claims to have a slick tool to clean my system? After plowing through reams of pages here and finding references to bleeping computer in other places, the trust level was high enough that I downloaded the recommended program - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

It only took a couple of hours for MBAM to clean my system. It found and cleaned several problems in addition to Vundo.

My daughter started using a laptop because she could not use the infected computer. The day after I got the computer cleaned, the laptop started having the same problems. I'm pretty sure both systems were infected from a website my daughter visited -- I've been hearing a lot about some vulnerabilities that cause "trusted" sites to infect computers. In this case, it only took an evening to get the laptop cleaned.

So, thanks to all the contributors. I will now be visiting bleeping computer on a regular basis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

:thumbsup: Great to here it pizzaandbeer, it's good to see you here at BC.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

Now that your computers are fixed, you are free to shop until you drop!
Happy to read that BC helped you out.
Welcome to this friendly user community!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users