Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do with quarintined files; blue screens and viewpoint error.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 housemonster

housemonster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:59 PM

Recently my computer started to do a funky thing where any links brought up by simple google searches would redirect me to the same, untrustworthy, website. I knew this had to be the sign of a virus so I ran Avast!. It quarantined quite a few files, but soon after my computer starting acting oddly. My D-Link wireless adapter stopped working, stopping that computer's access to the internet, viewpointservices.exe error messages come up when I restart my computer, and I get a nice blue screen quite often.

I've been looking through google searches to see if the infected files that Avast! has quarantined are really virus and really do need to be deleted, but several of them come up with very little information. So here are the files that are in my Avast! quarantine chest:

AltBrowser.exe
fhexj6825077.exe
hgGxXrRK.dll
kernel32.dll
mini121308-01.dmp
NPMYSRCH.DLL
s4setp.exe
winsock.dll
wr-1-0000077.exe
wsock32.dll

Here is what the blue screen says:

STOP: 0x00000044 (0x86EB29B8, 0x00000D64, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

And this is the viewpoint error message that comes up:

viewpointService.exe - Application Error
The execption Breakpoint
A breakpoint has been reached.
(0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x00402250.

Because the computer that is infected will no longer recognize my wireless adapter, and will not connect to the internet, I'm having to write everything down on paper and type it on to this thread using another computer. I'm not sure how will get any programs or fixes that are suggested from this computer to the other yet, but I can try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

What version of Windows are you running?

Check your router and make sure your DNS is set to automatic. You also need to change the password for the router. Some malware has had a history of taking over routers. Let's manually reset your DNS.

Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To obtain a DNS server address automatically, click Obtain DNS server address automatically, and then click OK.

You will need to reboot after this step...

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users