Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't remove hibernation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jingato

jingato

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hi. I have vista ultimate x64 installed on an 80GB Intel SSD. I wanted to remove hibernation to save disk space cause it's taking up 6 GB of space. I tried disk cleanup and it successfully removes the hibernation file giving me back my disk space, but once I restart the computer the disk space is gone again and hibernation is enables again. I also tried using the command powercfg -H off. It does the same exact thing. Does anybody know how I can perminetly get rid of hibernation? I dont use it any way.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

This seems to be the only answer that I've found to disable hibernation: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_hibernation.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jingato

jingato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, I can't seem to find much either. I tried all of those methods. They all disable hibernation and gives me my disk space back, but once i restart hibernation in enables again and the disk space is gone again.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

I'm just ******* in the wind here, but have you tried creating a shortcut with the powercfg -H off path, and then causing it to load on startup? I dunno if it'll prevent the creation of the file (I suspect that it happens earlier in the boot process), but it's worth a shot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

I just tried this on my home system (my Vista VM won't enable hibernation in the first place) - and the hiberfil.sys file was not recreated on rebooting.

I'd have to suspect something that's starting is enabling it against your wishes. Try stopping your startup program and see if that helps out. Here's a free program for that: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

#6 jingato

jingato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:26 AM

Ok, I decided to create a .bat file to turn off hibernation each time the computer starts. Alls it has in it is powercfg -H off. If I double click it it disables hibernation. I added a shortcut to it in my startup folder. Now, when I restart my computer I can see the little dos window open and close real quick so I now it gets run. Then I check my system and hibernation is still enabled!. Then I click the shortcut and check again and it is disabled. SO I am assuming that the .bat file is running and disabling hibernation and then after that something else is running and enabling it. I'm at a loss of what to do. Is there a way to make sure that the .bat file gets run last? Whats the best way to find out what is actually enabling hibernation?

Thanks

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

Try making a shortcut rather than a .bat file and see if that helps. Otherwise you'll have to selectively disable startups in order to figure out who's doing this to you. I'd suspect either video driver stuff, tweaking stuff, or a program that relies on saved states of your system as a part of it's routines.

#8 jingato

jingato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:40 AM

SOLVED!!!

OK, So I went through everything starting up and I narrowed it down to the task scheduler service. I figured out that the task scheduler runs a bunch of tasks at set times, like startup. So I sifted through them and finally found the task that was causing the problem. I have the Asus P6T OC Palm editions. It has an external device with a screen that allows you to monitor things like temperatures and voltage. It also allows you to change bios setting from within windows for on the fly overclocking. It turns out the application that lets you update the gadgets on the external device was causing the problem. Every time you start the application it re-enables hibernation. The exact description of the task "Asus OC Palm Gadget Manager MFC Application"

Thanks usama for helping me solve this headache!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Darned 3rd party software! :huh:
I'm glad that you sorted it out, thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users