Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I use Norton Internet Security 2008's firewall or Windows Vista's built in one?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hiprocka

hiprocka

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

Or, should I have them both on?

Thanks,

Hiprocka

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

Or, should I have them both on?

No, you should only ever have one active firewall.

I would choose Norton ahead of the windows firewall, as the windows firewall doesn't stop malware that may already be on your system from 'phoning home', for further instructions.

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

But with Vista you also have UAC and some outbound control.

I know nothing about the Norton firewall unfortunately as Norton demands payment, so I removed it from my system.

There are probably better firewalls than either of those and available free as well.
James

#4 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 903 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:32 PM

But with Vista you also have UAC and some outbound control.

I didn't know you had some control with the Vista version, but as far as malware is concerned, surley it's better to assume none than rely on 'some'.

I have used Nortons firewall, which is ok. I agree there are better, free alternatives, like ZoneAlarm or Comodo.

#5 hiprocka

hiprocka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

I keep getting a message to the effect that Windows Firewall needs to communicate with me about something. It's probably a message to tell me it has been disabled. How should I handle this situation?

#6 Burgundy

Burgundy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:26 AM

I got a messag eon Friday that my computer had viruses and was compromised in 37 different ways - it was a bit of a scare scam tactic that wanted me to install Antivirus 360. Stupidly, I did, and that is what eventually led me to this site via my buddy. When I got the message, it looked like a Windows shield insignia that was attached to it, but it was something else. Beware, Hiprocka. I couldn't unistall it once I installed it and found that they wanted 49 dollars for me to sign their license agreement and then they would give me the fixes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users