Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access storage drive when double-clicked in My Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noebro

noebro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

I contracted a virus in my Memorex Traveldrive storage device at the school where I teach. I discovered it when I plugged it into my home laptop and my Avast! AV program recommended I move it to the file chest. The virus file was named "svchost.EXE" and the type of virus is "Win32: Trojan-gen {other}" and it is not present in my computer nor my storage drive now. But when I try to access the storage drive by double clicking it in My Computer, the message that pops up reads "E:\ Access is denied." However, I am still able to access the contents of my drive because it opens up through autorun when it is plugged in, but unless I minimize the contents, I have to keep plugging and unplugging the storage device everytime I want to access a file on it, as there are many. Questions:

1. Is the file (that is responsible for opening the drive when plugged into my laptop) corrupted in my C drive (when I double-click in My Computer), or in the storage file itself (the file that was supposedly affected according to Avast! was "E:\ sys")?

2. Can this file be repaired or replaced somehow?

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

For reference: How To Fix Access Denied Errors - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/

There are various instances of this reported, but I see no pattern.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users