Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Disappearing text, icons, GUI

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_welldressedmatt_*

Guest_welldressedmatt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

I originally posted this in a reply here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175508/blind-spots-missing-info-after-24-hours-on-win-xp/ about a week ago since the member there seemed to be experiencing the same problem. Unfortunately his solution was related to malware that was found on his machine, but the same malware does not exist on mine...

The problem occurs on my Windows XP machine. It manifests as disappearing text, icons and other elements (such as close and minimize buttons). Sometimes they simply disappear as if they are transparent, other times they are replaced by a black box. This includes icons on the desktop, in the taskbar, text underneath icons, text in title bars, "Start" on the Start menu, as well as text inside open windows on web pages, etc. Sometimes elements will disappear/reappear as I move my mouse over them. This happens about every 24-48 hours, and the problem goes away on reboot, then comes back a day or so later. Once the problem starts, it collectively worsens until I have to shut down the machine. Worst case scenarios include an active mouse while everything else seems to be frozen, other times when I attempt to move a window it will leave a trail behind it, and most of the time this culminates in the machine being completely frozen.

I have run AVG Anti-virus, Avast, Adaware, Spybot S&D, Kaspernsky, and Malwarebytes, all of which may have turned up one or two little issues, but for the most part they are clean. Upon removing what has been found, the problem still seems to be happening. I've uninstalled nearly 50gigs of software and documents in the last month trying to find the culprit, as well as defragged the machine. I also updated the drivers fro my video adapter and monitors.

In addition to all this the machine just runs SLOW, particularly when accessing the Internet. At this point, I'm considering a system restore to factory defaults, but I'm really trying to avoid that. I'm also afraid that this might not be a "software" issue, and that there might be something going on at the hardware level (hard drive, mobo, processor, something else???) and that would mean a restore would be pointless (unless maybe its a driver issue I guess).

Anyway, I've included some photos I took from my camera phone that illustrate some of the issues I've described:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any suggestions are appreciated!

-M@

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

Do you have a restore point be fore this happened that you can roll back to? Does it do this in Safemode? Have you looked in the Event Viewer for problems that occurred around the same time?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users