Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update hardeware

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bucefalo

bucefalo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

hello,
My computer has the following specs:

Processor: 2.8 GHz pentium 4
Cpu: 256 mb ramm
Harddisk: 40 Gb; 2 Gb free
Grafic CArd: Geforce FX 5900 128 Mb
Intel Board

How do I update my video card and other hardware's drivers? I recently bought Half Life 2. The game runs very slow in my pc, I wonder why? I thought I had a really good video card. Could someone tell me how to improve the slowness in the game?

Thanxs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:59 PM

Dear buce,

Half Life II needs quite a bit more than you are running.

Your Mother Board needs to have at least a 512MB cache and FSB 800MHz.

You need at least 1GB in memory ram and a bigger hard drive.

Your CPU is a fast one and should be OK.

Your video card should be a 256MB card but 128 will work slowly.

Its funny how video games make you upgrade. :thumbsup:

Check your mother board for its max abilities and get back to us.

Here to help,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

you will need to upgrade your RAM, try d/l-ing the Omega drivers from OmegaDrivers.net the drivers here are basically the same as the factory ones, but internally tweaked so that there is a 30%-40% GARUNTEED improvement... u can expect this because i have them and they are a wonder!! i used to get 20 fps on the sims 2, after i got the drivers i'm getting an average of 34 fps (i NEED to upgrade my vid card). but it has improved thats all i can say. so tell us more details about the hardware on your comp and us peeps will try to help.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 bucefalo

bucefalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

what is the cache memory? what other specs do you need?

#5 bucefalo

bucefalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:02 PM

Got my Geforce fx 5900 what driver should i download at omegadrivers?

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:19 PM

you should d/l the nVidia Drivers... LINK: nVidia Omega Drivers... my friend got Counter Strike Source (i was there when he did this) he was getting a crappy 20 fps, after he got the Omega drivers it jumped to 150 fps!!! i'm still wondering how, but these drivers work a miracle!!! ATi users, this is also available for u guys too.

what other specs do we need... well, i can only help in the Graphics division, and cooling performance, sorry. Hope I helped, with your video card needs.

Edited by legoman786, 16 May 2005 - 11:21 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 bucefalo

bucefalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

Thanx! you helped me a lot! I think ill get swome extra 256 mb of ram and a 80 Gb harddisk

#8 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:32 AM

Dear Buce,

The cache is processor memory...ahh so to speak. The faster the CPU the faster it grabs what you need to do anything.

With a bigger cache the CPU has less time to wait for that information because it has it already. It's much more detailed than that. Your CPU can only work as fast as the other installed components.

Hence the need for a bigger cache on you mother board; more memory ram for faster information acquiring; more data storage for non essential information and such.

Here is the kicker. All this depends on the mother board you are using. She has her limits.

You need to tell us the mother board model number, manufacturer, and any information you have so we can truly help you.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:

Oh, you cannot buy more cache without upgrading the motherboard.

Edited by junkdk, 18 May 2005 - 12:33 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#9 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:36 AM

CACHE is integrated into the motherboard, I think the CPU also has its own cahce, please correct me if I'm wrong.

- Rick Cook

#10 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:18 AM

CACHE is integrated into the motherboard, I think the CPU also has its own cahce, please correct me if I'm wrong.

No you are right, CPU has L1 Trace Cache, L2 Data cache and L2 Cache (the 512kb on Die instructions)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users