Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Faz

Faz

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:19 AM

Hi all,

I have just bought 2x Samsung 1GB SDRAM DDR400 PC3200 modules but when I install them I just receive one long beep from my PC. I already have 2x Elpida 512MB SDRAM DDR400 32*8 modules in the computer. Ive tried the new modules individually but still no joy. Ive tried updating my bios but that keeps failing during the update so I cant actually update it. According to the manual these memory mmodules should be compatible.

The motherboard is an ECS KN1 Extreme and the bios is Phoenix Award.

The manual says:

'This motherboard supports up to 4 GB of system memory with PC3200/2700/2100/1600 DDR DIMMs'

and

'Dual-channel DDR memory architecture - 4 x 184-pin, 2.5V, DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets support up to 4 GB - Support DDR400/333/266/200 unbuffered DDR SDRAM'

Does anyone have any ideas or know if there are some compatibility issues?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

Sooo...you say that each of your old modules works in the sockets that you initially installed the new RAM?

And...neither of your new DIMMs works properly in the #1 memory slot?

We know that they don't play well together, I'd run Memtest on the new.

Could be your sockets, could be the combinations, conflicting timings, etc. Until you run Memtest, it's hard to say.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Is your old memory ECC, while the new is non-ECC? You want non-ECC RAM.

Louis

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:03 PM

You didnt accidently get registered ECC server Ram did you?? I know if your looking on ebay ECC and Non ECC are all mixed together sometimes. Was the ram seated all the way? the two clips on both sides on the DIMM slot should be all the way up and hooked into the Ram.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the replys.

Sooo...you say that each of your old modules works in the sockets that you initially installed the new RAM?

The old modules work fine. Ive tried the old modules in with the new, both of the new ones together and individually.

And...neither of your new DIMMs works properly in the #1 memory slot?

Nope, neither of the new ones will work.

We know that they don't play well together, I'd run Memtest on the new.

If I put a new module in then the PC wont start. During POST it just emits a single long beep which according to the bios website means a problem with the memory.

Is your old memory ECC, while the new is non-ECC? You want non-ECC RAM.

The new memory is 2x Samsung DDR400, PC3200, non-ECC, unbuffered, 184pin, CL3, 1GB SDRAM DIMM.

The old memory is Elpida DDR400, SDRAM, 512MB, 32*8, CL2.5 [Elpida DD2508AMTA]
24th one : http://www.foxconnchannel.com/upload/Compa...2840C51GM03.htm

You didnt accidently get registered ECC server Ram did you?? I know if your looking on ebay ECC and Non ECC are all mixed together sometimes. Was the ram seated all the way? the two clips on both sides on the DIMM slot should be all the way up and hooked into the Ram.

Defiantly non-ECC I got. Yup, everytime Ive put the modules in Ive seated them in properly and put the clips in.

My motherboard specs are here if this help shed some light on the problem : http://eu.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/P...=47&LanID=8

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:04 AM

I would have to suspect suspect some sort of conflict between the RAM timings for the new...and the timings for the old. I experienced such a few months ago. If everything is working properly, the system is just supposed to adjust to the slower timings...but things don't always work properly.

I resolved my situation by slowing down my clock from 200 to 166 in the BIOS and all my modules could then peacefully coexist with the system. The inverse approach to what some prefer to do (overclock). No problems since then with that system.

The RAM could always be bad...I received bad RAM 1 time in my 12 years of playing with computers but I could boot the system and it was apparent shortly after boot that the RAM needed to be RMA'd to Crucial.

I suggest trying to lower the clock speed in the BIOS (it won't hurt anything) with the old RAM installed (to get past boot problems)...save the changes, reboot...stop the system...take old RAM out, try new RAM (both modules) by itself.

If it boots, you have a winner. If not, one less item to consider and time to contact the vendor or try the RAM in a different system. In fact, trying it in a different system is probably the first thing I should have suggested.

Louis

#6 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

I resolved my situation by slowing down my clock from 200 to 166 in the BIOS and all my modules could then peacefully coexist with the system. The inverse approach to what some prefer to do (overclock). No problems since then with that system.

Cheers, I'll give that ago in a bit. Hopefully thats all it is.

#7 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:06 AM

Still no joy.

I lowered the clock to 166 then tried the modules individually and all together but still getting that annoying beep and a system that wont get passed POST.

Looks like Im going to have to send the memory back for a replacement. The anti-static bags they came in were not even sealed, could this of caused the problem?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

It's hard to say what causes parts which do not work properly...although I don't think that anti-static bags are truly necessary when handling/storing RAM modules. I doubt if all of us who have spare RAM around...have it in anti-static bags when it's out of the system.

See what the vendor has to say about returning the RAM.

I don't know if you used a RAM configurator to determine what modules you would purchase...but I think it's a good idea to do so. The price differentials from vendor to vendor are somewhat insignificant now, since many vendors offer free shipping.

It's been my experience that my former philosophy of just ensuring that the RAM speeds were in accordance with motherboard specs...well, that approach needed to modified :thumbsup:. I like to know that what I buy will work with a given motherboard and eliminate the suspense/drama.

Louis

#9 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

I don't know if you used a RAM configurator to determine what modules you would purchase...but I think it's a good idea to do so.

I didnt, I just went off the specs from the motherboard.

Theyve said I can send it back so all is ok at the moment.

Thanks for the help tho hamluis, much appreciated.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Easily done, keep us posted :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users