Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown infection..undetectable by several programs/ Computer 1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 kabledesigns

kabledesigns

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:18 AM

I'm throwing the towel in. I've ran scans in safe mode using AVG, Ad-aware, Spybot with no luck. I purchased Kaspersky because I'll get a lot of use out of it in the long run but it didn't detect anything either.

I've noticed one or two popups and computer is running a bit off, slow at points, some erroring and skipping sometimes when I watch movies. Printer has been off and on too. Initially, when I opened Kaspersky it was stuck in the task bar and I couldn't get it to go to a full window.

I can't kill AppleMobileDeviceService.exe and it seems suspicious to me. I have itunes but something seems off with it. I have trouble killing it with process explorer. Also get a few of these windows update notifications which seems out of place, unless its just a coincidence with my paranoia.

Any help is greatly appreciated and if you could also let me know what you discovered that is wrong I would appreciate it, trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:54:40 AM, on 12/20/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-515967899-1532298954-839522115-1004\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User 'Mom')
O4 - S-1-5-21-515967899-1532298954-839522115-1004 Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.4.lnk.disabled (User 'Mom')
O4 - S-1-5-21-515967899-1532298954-839522115-1004 User Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.4.lnk.disabled (User 'Mom')
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Banner Ad Blocker - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\ie_banner_deny.htm
O9 - Extra button: Web traffic protection statistics - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\SCIEPlgn.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O16 - DPF: vzTCPConfig - http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings...vzTCPConfig.CAB
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\mzvkbd.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\mzvkbd3.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\adialhk.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\kloehk.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Internet Security (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.8.809.23506 (GoogleDesktopManager-092308-165331) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe

--
End of file - 3571 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hello kabledesigns,

Posted Image

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe is perfectly legit : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/A....exe-19007.html

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from one of these places:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html
http://www.besttechie.net/mbam/mbam-setup.exe

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply along with a fresh HijackThis log.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Thanks,
tea
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#3 kabledesigns

kabledesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:19 AM

Here are the two logs. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detected a (Hijack.StartMenu) which I cleaned up. Am I still infected or just paranoid?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1526
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/21/2008 4:44:46 AM
mbam-log-2008-12-21 (04-44-42).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 53885
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowHelp (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

--------------------------------------------------
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:14:10 AM, on 12/21/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Banner Ad Blocker - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\ie_banner_deny.htm
O9 - Extra button: Web traffic protection statistics - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\SCIEPlgn.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O16 - DPF: vzTCPConfig - http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings...vzTCPConfig.CAB
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\mzvkbd.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\mzvkbd3.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\adialhk.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~2\kloehk.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Internet Security (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.8.809.23506 (GoogleDesktopManager-092308-165331) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe

--
End of file - 3264 bytes

#4 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

Are you still getting popups?

Posted Image

#5 kabledesigns

kabledesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

As far as I can tell its clean, but my computer is running very slow.

I recently added a DVD burner and an external Western Digital 750 GB HD. I think my computer is having trouble recognizing them or they are not installed properly. Occasionally when I opened my computer after booting up it will delay for a long time before it compiles the list of attached devices and drives. It seems there is some hang up.

For the DVD burner I just unplugged my old one and put the new one in. I believe by default the burner is set to 'master' and not 'slave.' Process explorer is showing a high percentage, ranging from 15-25 percent for Deferred Procedure Call's. Any ideas or is this a new thread altogether?

#6 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

Hi there,

That's going to be another thread in the Hardware forum. :) Malware is my forte, and there is nothing in that HijackThis log. I know you have it pared just about down as far as you can for speed, for sure.

Post over there and they'll sort you out. I'll leave this thread open for a few days, so let me know how you come out. :thumbsup:

Regards,
tea

Posted Image

#7 kabledesigns

kabledesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

Pretty sure its a hardware problem. If I find anything else I will start a new thread. Thanks a ton for the help.

#8 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

You're welcome a ton. :) :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#9 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:55 AM

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users