Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows explorer doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Alright, every time I try boot into Windows, it first takes forever to load, and Windows Explorer never loads ("Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close"). I try to boot into safe mode, and when I try to log into my profile, I get an error saying something about the possibility of a corrupt user profile (among other things). I log in to the temporary profile and Explorer still won't load.

Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling? (for the third time)

EDIT: I'm using Windows XP Home SP3 with IE8 beta.

Edited by MadDawg, 19 December 2008 - 08:47 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling? (for the third time)
EDIT: I'm using Windows XP Home SP3 with IE8 beta.

If I were you I would go back to IE7, Delete the IE8 beta. and take a read through this thread. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/. :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

FWIW: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811151

It helps if you post the entire wording of the error message, rather than the Readers Digest version. Clues as to what is wrong or what has been affected adversely...are often contained in those messages.

I would second the suggestion to leave any beta install alone.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

Alright, sorry about my extra-late reply. I can't seem to get Ubuntu online for some reason, so I'm typing this up on my PS3. When I start up in safe mode, I get this message when I click on my profile:

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

and

Windows cannot find the locally stored profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes to this profile will be lost when you log off.

After that I get the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." error.

When I try to open cmd.exe (from the task manager) it closes after about 10 seconds, but the command.com shell still works. When I try to open system restore, I get the same error as Windows Explorer.

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

Bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users