Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do not buy Toshiba Laptops

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 neo5bass

neo5bass

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

Take this as you wish but...

I own or have purchased four Toshiba laptops in the last 5 years
1 Qosmio G25
1 Satellite P105
and two lower end Satellites

All are used carefully as they are personal property and expensive to replace.

Today my video hardware on my 1.5 year old P105 died the real death.
I was told to repair it will cost $695 plus labor.

The only way to recover is to fix the motherboards video section. It is a confirmed hardware failure.
I am %99.999 certain it failed due to the already present obviously overheating of the sound card which it has always done.

That was my one mistake. I didn't immediately return the unit. It is a known flaw in the design Toshiba will not recall.

One of the lower end satellites has had the left touchpad button replaced for $200 and lasted a year. It is now failing again in exactly the same way.

I will never buy another Toshiba product or authorize their purchase ( I manage a medium sized department of engineers)

This lack of customer service is apalling but typical of overly large companies.
The service tech for Toshiba pretty much confirmed my suspicion that Toshibas are junk and recommended the brands/models he sees the fewest of.

Good work Toshiba. You just lost a customer forever. Buyer beware not all expensive laptops are worth the money.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

I went through a similar problem with a customer's HP laptop, a nice DV9000/17 inch screen. It had the NV graphics failure, it was out of warranty by almost 8 months.

I figured I would contact HP for the client instead of them paying $500 for a mobo and labor. Sure enough after about 45 minutes on live chat with HP, they decided to fix it for free and sent a FedEx box to return it for repairs/mobo replacement.

Toshibas, at least the few Toshiba laptops I have experience with, have been a PITA to work on and find parts for. Don't get me started on Sonys.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users