Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I "overclock" my Video Card?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Conquistador

Conquistador

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

Hey BleepingComputer Technicians,

I want to overclock my GeForce 6200 (I'm not sure with version) on my XP Presario S5200NX, but am not sure how far to overclock it. How much should I do so, and will I know is the limit? I am using PowerStrip and I do have the RivaTurner (I don't know how to use it)

My GeForce 6200 is clocked at: Memory Clock 523, Engine Core 350

Many thanks as Always, and Merry Christmas!

P.S., I want to know more about how the Video Card works, where can I find info?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Because overclocking can be hazardous to the health of the computer most OEM computers have the BIOS locked so that this can't happen.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Conquistador

Conquistador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

I know that, but thanks for the reminder. Now, I know I will not try the Processor, since it's a Celeron anyways. The GeForce 6200 I've heard can be touched, though I'm not sure on how-to's for the particulars. I've heard some variations can (if my type can, which I don't know) work like a 6600.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

ForceWare software for NVIDIAŽ GeForce

http://www.nvidia.com/page/forceware_geforce.html

GPU Overclocking

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

Overclocking Guide: (very long read)
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_11.html

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:04 AM

I had almost the same card except mine was the next series down but almost the same clocks.

Just to let you know these card dont overclock well but i was able to see a performance change.

I had the bfg FX5500 PCI with 290 core and 400 mem.

You should definatly look into getting an aftermarket cooler (newegg) cuz the stock cooler wont let it overclock very far. I could only overclock the core about 8-10mhz with the stock cooler before it would freeze up. With an aftermarket cooler i got 322/445. I was only able to get up to 445 mem with ati tool. i was able to overclock the memory higher then that though and then play games without seeing any artifacts. Almost up to 500mhz memory but since its your first time stick to what ati tool says.

Download these two programs

Rivatuner

ATI Tool

And follow these instructions on using rivatuner. The instructions go over everything the program can do but for a beginer it will probably be overwhelming. Just set your fan to 100% and then skip down to the bottom of the page called "overclocking profiles" follow the instructions for the overclocking. All the other stuff dont worry about for now. If you have ???? then ask.

Rivatuner instructions

Overclock with rivatuner and select apply or ok so the overclocks stay then open ATI tool and click scan for artifacts. Its usually good to do one at a time. First overclock the core and see how high you can get. You will know its stable when ATI tool's artifact scan runs for 20+ minutes with out any problems. If you overclock the core too far the computer will freeze so you will just have to hit the reset button and start over. When you overclock the memory too far you will get artifacts.

After you find the highest core and the highest memory the set the core and memory to those clocks (so that both are overclocked) and run ATI tool again. Make sure it goes the full time with both overclocks set without any problems. No problems then clocks are stable and time to play games.

By the way dont use Ntune to overclock rivatuner is better because you can overclock 1mhz at a time that way you can adjust it in perfect.

Also i dont think your card will have a shader clock cuz its too old, i know mine didnt so never mind the extra overclock bar in the pics.

There is also a part where you can check your core temp but the 5500's didnt have a temp sensor and they might not have it on your card also but if it does then thats a plus

Edited by Lucky23, 20 December 2008 - 02:31 AM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#6 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:43 AM

hey i was also checking the specs on your comp and if you running a celeron then it might be worth while to upgrade to a P4 if you planning on keeping it for a while.

Your comp

Your motherboard if im correct : )

Edited by Lucky23, 20 December 2008 - 02:44 AM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#7 Conquistador

Conquistador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

I think ATI Tools just crashed my computer! All I got to do was click on the option to check Maximum Memory Speed and the screen went all haywire! Did I do something wrong?

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Now, I know I will not try the Processor, since it's a Celeron anyways.

Don't sell the Celeron short. My computer uses a Celeron D single core, LGA775, with a Prescott Core and has been happily overclocked by 20% for more than a year and a half. It's stock clock was 2.66GHz, it's now at 3.19GHz, a gain of 532MHz.

(PS: these results may not be possible for all Celeron D processors, even models using the Prescott Core and having the same stock speed. caveat egredior clepsydra (Let the overclocker beware))

PPS: If you're thinking of upgrading your system, look into an ASUS motherboard. Many models have overclocking tools built into the BIOS including an auto-reset function should overclocking make the system unstable(called C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall))

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 20 December 2008 - 04:51 PM.

#9 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

I think ATI Tools just crashed my computer! All I got to do was click on the option to check Maximum Memory Speed and the screen went all haywire! Did I do something wrong?

Dont do that it wont work follow the the instructions i gave using Rivatuner first then ATI tool

Only use ATI Tool to Scan for artifacts

Edited by Lucky23, 20 December 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#10 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

Now, I know I will not try the Processor, since it's a Celeron anyways.

Don't sell the Celeron short. My computer uses a Celeron D single core, LGA775, with a Prescott Core and has been happily overclocked by 20% for more than a year and a half. It's stock clock was 2.66GHz, it's now at 3.19GHz, a gain of 532MHz.

(PS: these results may not be possible for all Celeron D processors, even models using the Prescott Core and having the same stock speed. caveat egredior clepsydra (Let the overclocker beware))

PPS: If you're thinking of upgrading your system, look into an ASUS motherboard. Many models have overclocking tools built into the BIOS including an auto-reset function should overclocking make the system unstable(called C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall))

You also have the 775 socket and possibly an 800fsb where he only has a 400fsb and probably 128kb cashe. So your celeron is probably much faster then any P4 he will be able to get and much faster then his celeron.

Edited by Lucky23, 20 December 2008 - 05:39 PM.

#11 Conquistador

Conquistador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

How hot may the Video Card get? It's hovering around 41 Celsius when doing nothing.

And how do I find out?

Edited by Conquistador, 20 December 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#12 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:08 AM

According to quick search on yahoo it looks like max will be in between 75-80.

#13 My name does not fi

My name does not fi

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

Most modern cards are pre-overclocked. It depends on which company produced it. - some companies overclock their cards to the limit of safety. Others just leave it where it is. Get on nVidia control panel and you can download a file from nVidia which allows you to overclock it - nTune (may be a different name) - it will show you temp and mHz etc.
- test it out when running a good 3d game
I
made
this
lines...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users