Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Turnips

Turnips

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

yeah. I regret upgrading to Firefox 3.

I mean, Firefox 2 loaded pages slower, but at least it didn't ever FREEZE, even with lots of addons.
is anyone experiencing this problem?!
it's so darn ANNOYING.

Firefox takes so long to start up, and once it's opened, I have to wait for at least a minute for it to stop freezing and start working.
And it randomly freezes at times.
Also, it sometimes suddenly disappears from the taskbar(although the program's still open)

I have a lot of add-ons.
But I had even MORE in Firefox 2(some of them won't work anymore with 3) and it never froze.

Help. PLEASE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

Have you tried to open Firefox in "Safe Mode"?
This will bypass the add-ons. I had a problem with
an add-on in FF2, but no problems on FF3.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 taylert123

taylert123

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

I think it's something to do with your computer...

On my old computer (with Windows XP and very little RAM) did the same thing with firefox 2, but on my new vista laptop (2 GB RAM) Firefox 3 doesn't ever freeze or anything. It works perfectly ^.^

#4 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

I read in Security Tips from Brian Krebs at the Washington Post on-line that Firefox is going to stop issuing security updates for Firefox 2. Ouch!

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

That's true fuzzywuzzy6, it said version 2.20 will be the last, after it updated. :thumbsup:

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

There seem to be a lot of threads recently about FF freezing and such. I'm running fine with FF3. I have a good number of add ons and no issues for me.

How much RAM do you have?

#7 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

It just occurred to me that the problem could be with your java controls. If you have security controls that block Java and JavaScript from running, like AdBlockPlus, NoScript and/or CS Lite, plus google add-ons, there may be a conflict. You will have to go into your tools menu and look at what you have in customize google. Also check to see if your java console is turned on there; you will need it to run some applications, even if you don't want people running intrusive ads on your computer. (Ouch!) Also, check your error console if you have noscript. Noscript's latest update says it has ironed out its conflicts with AdBlockPlus, and that does seem to be the case.

The problem with both the firefox and google add-ons in firefox is that a lot of the updates only show up in your toolbox or options or in the way your computer runs. Not all of them will download information pages onto your computer after an update, or provide much information before you decide to download. And Google's forums and support center aren't that good that I can see. Also, the updates will not be marked as being part of the beta applications for either google or firefox. They should be flagging those as such as pop-ups and in other places that are easy to see. Users shouldn't be forced to research things at length; many of them simply don't have the time or the know-how to do so. :thumbsup:
T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users