Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Clean up"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ysha

ysha

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:14 PM

Yikes, I was instructing a friend on some tips to get his computer back in shape after a nasty rampant virus and malware break out. I told him to use the program "Clean Up" as well I explained to him what it would do and the type of files it would remove and locations. He failed to tell me he had created a folder which he named "temp" (or temporary) and the program delated all of the files he had stored in it. Apparantly it was years of graphic design materials and ppsx, word docs. all the items which he made. The problem he originally had left his system restore dates unusable and I told him to turn it off (sys restore) until everything was nice and tidy using all the various softwares I instructed him to use. (Malware Bytes, Ice Sword,CWS Shredders things of that type) How can he get the stuff back from which clean up removed? There is no retore points and not knowing this type of issue through command prompt I really dont know what to do. Or what possible software I might be able to have purchased that will take him back prior to such.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time
Ysha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:26 PM

First and most important - Shut down the computer
The more you use it the more it will overwrite the missing files, making it that much harder to recover them

I'm not familiar with Clean UP but I do know if you don't know what you're doing with CWshredder, Things can go bad in a hurry

There are many file recovery applications I've heard good things about Recuva:
http://www.recuva.com/download
and PC Inspector:
http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recov....htm?language=1

There are more listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

I was just reading the installation instructions, on the "Clean Up" website.

This appears to be a powerful clean-up program.
He mentions, twice, in the installation instruction:

strongly recommended that you make a backup of all important files before running

Also, if your using version 4.5, you should run the Demo Mode before running it for real.
This will list what will be deleted, if it's run for real.

He mentions in the forums, about the latest version he's working on (5):

You may be pleased to know that one of the things I am working on for CleanUp! 5.0 is providing a complete list of all files that CleanUp! found then letting the user review them before it actually deletes them.

One of the members had the same problem your friend had, and said he had success recovering his files with the freeware program, Restoration.zip.

Please read all installation instructions, and Help files, BEFORE using ANY program, for the first time.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users