Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop reboots

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Huludicidal

Huludicidal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hello. I'm having a similar problem.

I was watching Futurama the other night using VLC Media Player before I went to bed. When I was done, I closed the player, then closed my laptop, like I do every night, and went to sleep. I awoke to find that my laptop power was still on, but the screen was black. Not black like it was powered and blank, but black like there was no power being sent to it. So I held the power button until it shut off, which I have done before. I figured it just froze trying to go to standby mode or something. When I got home during my lunch break from work, I found that every time I tried to boot up my laptop, it would bring me to the screen asking me if I wanted to run a Windows Repair, or start Windows normally. The repair option did literally nothing. It refreshed the screen instantly and nothing happened. Starting windows normally would just reboot my computer.

I tried booting up in every type of safe mode and that also would just restart my laptop. Finally, I said *$@% it and used the recovery CD to recovery Windows to the first partition (as I have all my data/games/music/whatever on the 2nd partition). So I did that last night and now I get to a black screen with a big white cursor. I can move the cursor but nothing else happens. If I try to boot in safe mode, it tells me that Windows did not finish installing, and to insert the recovery CD. When I hit 'Okay' it just reboots my computer and does the same thing all over again.

I did see a thread on here regarding resetting the VGA drivers (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/538609-vista-black-screen-first-restart.html#post5083182) so I will attempt that later today when I get home early due to the snow storm. If it works, I'll let you know as it may also work for you.

If anyone else has any thoughts, please share!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users