Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winweb Security

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 diabolique

diabolique

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hey

I'm really new to this whole thing so I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me out!!

I keep getting pop up boxes from winweb security about security firewall alerts - but I don't subscribe to winweb so I think it might be a virus

It comes up saying internet explorer is infected with Lsas.Blaster.Keyloger whatever that is?

Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Sounds like you have been infected with Malware.
Winweb Security is a rogue anti-spyware program that uses deceptive scan results as a tactic to scare you into purchasing the software. When Winweb Security is installed it will be configured to run automatically when your computer starts. Once running, the program will perform a scan and then list a variety of malware that cannot be removed until you first purchase a license of the software. The problem is, that the malware files that Winweb Security says exists on your computer, actually do not exist or are legitimate programs. This practice of showing false results is very common among rogue anti-spyware programs, and like many others, Winweb Security is using it to scare you into thinking you are infected.
When running, you will also see pop-ups on your desktop stating that "Internet Explorer is infected with worm Lsas.Blaster.Keylogger". This alert will then prompt you to purchase the software in order to protect your computer. This alert is fake, and the infection listed does not even exist. Just like the false scan results, these alerts are only further trying to scare you into purchasing the software. We suggest you ignore anything this program states

You should post this topic in Am I infected? What do I do?. Someone there will be able to help you further.

Edited by Pandy, 20 December 2008 - 07:41 PM.
Moved From AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

#3 diabolique

diabolique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

Hey

Thanks for that - I appreciate it :thumbsup:

I will do

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

Would you try MBAM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry944365

remember

We suggest you ignore anything this program states

A rogue program is trying to trick you
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 euphony

euphony

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:46 AM

Hi,
I'm new to this site and fairly new to computing and have just started getting similar warnings. Can you tell me please how to stop them rather than ignore them please?
I run Norton 360, wil this protect me sufficiently??
Many thanks in advance.

Edited by euphony, 22 December 2008 - 05:48 AM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

You get rogue warnings because you are infected, you try to remove the infection with real antimalware programs

What you ignore is the crooks telling you they can remove the infections for some of your money
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users