Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing icons in control panel after crash

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cheryl g

cheryl g

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

A computer at work would not start this am. I do not know how my boss got it to start.

It is an HP. It was giving him some sort of setup option when he got it to start. He did not want to, but accidentally clicked enter. It seems to have wiped all our data, programs, etc. It appears to have on it what came with the computer only. It behaves like a new computer, telling us to register online, etc.

In the control panel we do not have an icon for security center, windows firewall, wireless network setup. Also multi-channel sould something and Quicktime. I am comparing icons with another HP we have.

It currently shows Windows XP Home, service pack 1 (I think we had SP2 before).

Does anyone know how to get these icons back, or can I access them from somewhere else.

(obviously I am new... I am posting here because I thought this might be due to infection. Is there a place to post when you don't know where to post?)

Thanks, Cheryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

It seems to have wiped all our data, programs, etc. It appears to have on it what came with the computer only. It behaves like a new computer, telling us to register online, etc.

That's exactly what he did. You will have to re-install service packs, updates and all of your extra programs

No, there is no way you can go back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cheryl g

cheryl g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. I guess I wasn't clear. I know/knew we can't go back.
(Am wishing I was at work early, maybe I could have prevented the issue.)

Since my original post I have updated to Microsoft's reccomendations.

"In the control panel we do not have an icon for security center, windows firewall, wireless network setup. Also multi-channel sould something and Quicktime. I am comparing icons with another HP we have." (I haven't learned the cool quote thing yet)

Aren't there supposed to be icons for : security center, windows firewall, wireless network in the control panel to begin with (not something i need to update or upgrade to)?

Thanks, Cheryl

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

I'm moving this to XP
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

It currently shows Windows XP Home, service pack 1

garmanma

You will have to re-install service packs, updates and all of your extra programs

Firewall and Security Center are part of Service Pack 2, not included in SP1.
Hope that helps.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 cheryl g

cheryl g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:51 PM

That's good to know. I am still confused.

After updating on MS website I looked in system properties and it still said service pack 1.
In the add & remove programs it lists updates to SP2.

I am at home now. Will work on it tomorrow. Thanks!!! Cheryl

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

Click Start, right-click My Computer, select Properties...you will see the SP level reflected on the data presented.

You need to install either SP2 or SP3, with SP3 being the better route (IMO) because more updates are contained in it. If you just install SP2, you will have over 100 additional updates to install when you finally go to Windows Update.

Probably the best thing to do (if you have a Microsoft XP Home install CD, not recovery/restore disks from Gateway, HP, etc.) would be to create what is known as a slipstreamed XP install CD. A slipstreamed is an updated XP install CD, which is created by using an original XP install CD and adding any SPs which a user wants to incorporate.

There are various ways of doing this, they all work. The simplest way that I have found to create such a CD...is to use nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Louis

#8 cheryl g

cheryl g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Thank you all for your excellent advice.

Louis,
That looks like an excellent reference for me for later. My co-worker got in early (I was late :trumpet: ).
He had it all fixed the hard way by the time I got here.

I am really enjoying "your" website. You all are the most friendly, :thumbsup: helpful people I have ever met online.
Please pass my kudos on to the creator. :flowers:

Cheryl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users