Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SecureZip

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

I've used PKZIP and the SecureZip for years. Just installed it on Vista Home Premium and got a surprise.

Back on my XP, I could right-click on any zip file and the pop-up menu would offer options - including extract here in the local directory.

Now that I've installed on Vista, all I get when I right-click is "open with" and then I can select SecureZip. That opens the zip file. It's nowhere near as convinient.

Anyone have any insight into this at all? Is there any setting or installation procedure that will place the other options on the menu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

Don't know if it's relevant to your situation

When installing or using version 9 of PKZIP or SecureZIP on Vista, we do recommend the following:

During installation, you will need to enter a PKWARE product license key, and you may need to log in as administrator to do this if your system prevents you from entering a key as another user.

File associations for ZIP and other file types may need to be set as an administrative user.

You may need to resize the column widths for certificate lists displayed on the password/recipient selection dialog.

Dialogs may not display full graphics capabilities under Windows Aero.
You will be unable to use the diskette format and wiping feature of PKZIP/SecureZIP.

The PKZIP/SecureZIP Server product is not supported on Vista, as Vista is a Desktop operating system. Current support for PKZIP/SecureZIP Server includes Windows Server operating systems through Windows 2008 Server.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:02 AM

Don't know if it's relevant to your situation

Thanks Mark. Someone found a comment out there on the internet somewhere saying that v12 is fully compatable with Vista. I'm running v11 and it looks like I need a new product code to get v12. I've contacted PKZIP, Inc. to see what it takes to get the upgrade. Worth a try.

#4 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

Maybe you need to go to your SecureZip settings, and search for something similar to "allow shell context-menu extensions".

Edited by Konstantin, 30 December 2008 - 09:10 AM.

#5 PKWARE

PKWARE

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hello, Roger.

As mentioned in the technical support case you opened with PKWARE, you use the 64-bit version of Vista. SecureZIP for Windows is currently available as a 32-bit application. Since Microsoft restricts some support for 32-bit applications in their 64-bit operating system versions, the 32-bit SecureZIP Explorer menu you may remember from other PCs cannot appear.

PKWARE expects to release a 64-bit version of SecureZIP for Windows in the future that will provide native support for the 64-bit Windows Explorer. In the meantime, a workaround could be to create a shortcut on your desktop to launch the 32 bit Windows Explorer. You can do this by creating a shortcut on your desktop and pasting the following into the shortcut: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /32

Then, when you need to use SecureZIP on files, simply double click on the icon you created, Windows Explorer will open, and SecureZIP will be an option shown in the context menu.

Please feel free to contact us at http://www.pkware.com/support with any concerns or questions you may have.

-PKWARE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users