Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with my secondary monitor...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

My secondary monitor gets stuck in standby mode (orange light) whenever I try to connect it to my laptop. It works for other purposes, such as using an Xbox 360, but whenever I connect it to my laptop (Dell Vostro 1700, Windows XP, nVidia 8600M GT) and configure it to run as an extension of the desktop, it just switches itself into standby mode. I've been using this dual monitor setup for quite a while and it had been working just fine up until now. I've tried fiddling around with the monitor settings on device manager, but it didn't work. Strangely, it lists "default monitor" twice, and also "plug and play monitor", and these three show up even when the second monitor isn't plugged in. So, any ideas on how to get it out of standby mode? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

did you check if another external monitor work with your laptop?

Edited by Konstantin, 22 December 2008 - 07:04 AM.

#3 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

Just tried that; same issue, so it's certainly a problem with the laptop itself.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

Seems your laptop thinks the monitor is still plugged in. I would try and re-install the video drivers. You can get the latest drivers from Nvidia.com select your graphics card and operating system.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

Just tried it, but it didn't work. Please keep the ideas coming folks, I appreciate it. This is driving me nuts...

#6 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

Don't know if this would be a useful tip here, but check the UltraMon program. I use it for my dual-screen setup on the desktop PC. Maybe it will help if your problems are software-related.

#7 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:33 AM

I've heard of UltraMon, but I can't get it to install (can't get the pesky MSI file to work) - anyway, I don't think it would make any difference, as I've tried the nVidia software and that didn't work, so I reckon the problem is of a different nature. I tried going into safe mode recently and uninstalling the display adapter, but that didn't work either, so I need more suggestions folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users