Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have 2Gig Ram, should I add another 1Gig?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vlmnz

vlmnz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

I recently bought an Asus X50RL notebook. It had 1Gig of ram when I bought it. When I was looking online for an extra stick the prices for 1gig and 2gig were similar so I bought a 2gig stick and it is now in the computer and running great. I am wondering if I should put the 1gig in as well, giving me 3gig total, or just stay with the 2gig and keep the 1gig as a backup in case the 2 gig ever fails? The only thing I use the notebook for is browsing the internet, emails etc. I dont play high spec games at all. 3gig seems excessive? I cant say I noticed a huge difference going from 1gig to 2gig and I am happy with how the notebook is running as it is now. Would I notice any difference going to 3gig? Your thoughts on this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

If your running vista i would. If your running xp 2gb is plenty for most aps but since you alread have it i would just use it. Does your comp support up to 3gb??
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 vlmnz

vlmnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

Sorry, I should have said, I am running Vista, with Firefox. I will dig out the manual and see what the max it supports it. Thanks.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

You could also go to crucial.com and run a system scan to see how much it supports. Although I don't know exactly how accurate it really is. (It said my brand new laptop could support up to 500GB of ram)

I would go with the 3 GB.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

The determining factor of how much RAM you can use is now coming down to the operating system, a 32-bit OS will generally only recognize 3.2 to 3.5 GB of RAM, where as a 64-bit OS can recognize over a terabyte of RAM. Most motherboards will support more RAM than a 32-bit OS can support, so when you go to a 64-bit OS what the motherboard will support becomes a determining factor.

One consideration is the fact that most computers now run the RAM in dual channel, this means using pairs of RAM, this means that the have exactly the same specs. So if you are going to add more RAM it should be in pairs, if you already have 2GB of RAM you should add two 512MB modules with the same specs as the modules that you are already running.

Edited by dc3, 19 December 2008 - 10:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 vlmnz

vlmnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Thank you to the previous posters. I think I have a problem here. I installed the new stick of Ram last night and everything seemed fine. However today I have discovered my Control Panel will not fully load. Only 11 icons showing up, there would usually be about 3 times that many. They are not the first 11 that would usually appear, they are a random selection (hope that makes sense) The green bar that fill that fills across the top as they load gets to about 2mm from the end then goes no further. Also I downloaded the scanner from www.crucial.com. The icon downloaded and appeared on my desktop incredibly quickly, almost instantly, but the program will not run. I click Run, I see a split second flash of a box trying to open, then nothing. There is no mention of it in my Task Manager.
I have run malwarebytes and superantispyware, as well as ccleaner, with no issues found but no change to these issues either.
I am unsure if these two problems are at all related to the new ram, maybe its just a coincidence.
Is someone able please to give me some advice, or point me to the correct place to ask?

#7 vlmnz

vlmnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

HHmmm.. I just tried clicking on some of the icons that were showing in the Control Panel to see if they were working, and they were. I closed the Control Panel, then opened it again. Now no icons are loading in the Control Panel at all. The whole box is empty, and as before the green loading bar is almost at the end but not quite.
I use Avast antivirus which is fully up to date and has run a clean scan this morning. I also use Comodo firewall, also up to date. This is on Vista Premium with Firefox 3.

#8 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:33 AM

welcome to vista?? Jk

Try a system defrag.. it shouldnt have anything to do with the ram.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#9 vlmnz

vlmnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:53 AM

Thanks Lucky23. Bizarrely, everything is working fine now. I havent changed anything. The only thing I have done was run was run the anti spyware and antivirus programs again in safe mode (just to be sure) and again, they found no issues.
The crucial scan now runs perfectly and I was able to see 2gig is the max I can have anyway, so at least I do have the answer to my original post.
When I bought the notebook 3 weeks ago, I was apprehensive about having Vista, I'd only used Xp before. I have heard so many negatives about Vista, especially about the quirky, unpredictable ways it behaves sometimes. I do remember Xp not being overly popular to begin with though, I guess all new OS's take time to perfect and for new users to learn. Overall, I am happy with it. I actually quite like having to try and work out new things, and who doesnt love the satisfaction when everything runs smoothly.
Thanks to everyone for your input. Have a great Christmas, hope Santa is good to you all :thumbsup:

#10 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

My gf got a new laptop with vista and shes had a lot of odd errors happen also but good to hear its working.

#11 enmassecomm

enmassecomm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Make sure you have SP1 for Vista installed. I have Vista Ultimate on an older P4 machine (circa 2004, non duo core) and it was a nightmare until I downloaded SP1. It is still slow compared to XP on this older machine but is stable for my uses.

Also, 2Gb is the absolute minimum I would go with RAM under VISTA. I had only 1Gb in the machine and it would sit and grind away at the the hard drive for minutes on some of the simplest operations. 3Gb seems to make a difference only when using a memory intensive program such as Photoshop, although it does decrease the loading times for the newer games such as Mass Effect.

On the other end of the spectrum, a client of mine had a Duo Core P4 laptop sold to her with Windows Vista Home Basic and only 768Mb of RAM. The machine was almost unusable. Loaded Vista at glaciel speeds and applications were even slower. We put 3Gb of RAM into the machine and it became a decent workstation for her. Acer by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users