Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SkratRadder

SkratRadder

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:03 PM

I believe i loaded way too much stuff onto my harddrive at some point. The other day, soon after it turned on, i received the blue screen of death, and it hasn't been able to load windows since. So i loaded up puppy linux and i don't know if it's just the windows vs linux problem but the entire windows folder comes up blank. So i threw in my recovery disks for windows. After the initial installation the computer reset then had me fill out a computer name and an admin password. No matter what i put for that password, or leave it blank i always receive a message that says that it couldn't log me on. i do plan on primarily running puppy on this computer, but using windows for ease of certain applications. My current plan is to partition/format the drive using puppy, then use the windows xp disk provided with the pc(not the recovery disks) to install. However i am unable to defrag w/o windows, at least as far as i've seen it is not a recommended action. What is the deal with the admin password? i went through that process like 7 or 8 times only to get stuck at that spot each time. The hd was formatted to some degree when the recovery disks were installed. Also, it could be an hd problem as well, because even after the reinstall, puppy still takes a while to read certain sections of the disk, i.e. doc and settings. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
B. Rake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

I would suggest running a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive. There's a list of the most common one's in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If it passes, then I'd boot to the Recovery Console ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) and run these commands:

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

CHKDSK /R

Press Enter after each command and answer Y (for Yes) to any questions that it asks.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

Thanks, but today i was able to successfully format/partition the hd and got windows and linux to run. just got the last of the drivers from dell for winxp and everything is working great. Thank you again, the diagnostic would have been a good move, but i decided to skip it. do you think it would still be necessary?
B. Rake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users