Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alright, parts bought, assembling computer now.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Distant

Distant

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:56 PM

Hey all, I'm assembling my computer now, and ran into a tiny bit of trouble.

Posted Image

Does putting down the umbrella-handle thing (after you put the cover back on) require any force at all? When I lower the lever I hear something like "TING TING TING" so I got scared and decided to ask.

I have another question too..

I got some Arctic Silver 5, do I just smear it all over the top of the processor or something? The aftermarket cooling that I got said to remove the paste, so not sure what to do. I got the Freezer Pro 7 from Arctic Cooling.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Mine was a bit rough to put down, but it looks like you just need to stick the metal cover over it, and then push the fastener down.

After that put a drop or so of it on top of the processor, and then stick the fan/heatsink over it, and make sure the arctic silver spreads out. Thats what i had heard to do.

Oh, and make sure your motherboard is insulated from your case, i had some trouble with that... and it didn't work when i first put it togther.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

As long as you removed the black plastic piece and you have the processor seated right your fine. Just drop the cover and pull the lever down. The amount of force that you have to use to put that lever down is definatly suprising. That Ting ting sound your hearing happend with my gigabyte motherboard also.

It says to remove paste if you already have paste on the processor from a previous heat sink just spread a layer of arctic silver over the top and pop on the heatsink.

What i do is put an ok size drop of paste in the center then i usually get a sandwitch back and pully it tight over my finger and then spread it over the whole top of the processor that way you know there isnt a spot not covered by the paste.

Alot of people just put a drop and let the weight of the heatsink spread it but i like to make sure there isnt any dry spots.

Edited by Lucky23, 19 December 2008 - 04:24 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

Use caution when placing the processor, it uses ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) meaning you shouldn't force the processor or you might damage it. You don't need to remove old paste from the processor, since it is new it shouldn't have any. If you choose to remove the pre-applied thermal paste and apply your own, be careful not to put too much as it would act as an insulator not a heat transfer medium.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users