Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs not loading - Virus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NevynDragin

NevynDragin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

I've got a computer with some serious issues. It's a Dell 2400, 2.2ghz, 1gb pc2700

For the most part, the computer is running slowly, and having issues opening some programs.

It won't open a lot of antivirus programs like:
Spybot, HijackThis, Malwarbytes, SuperAntiSpyware, ComboFix

I've ran Adaware, Vundofix, TrojanHunter, and AVG but they are all returning results stating no virus found....or occasionally Virtumonde.

It started with Virus Remover 2008. Not sure how it got to the pc, but it did. Anyways, it started locking up the computer on bootup, it'd start loading then crash when populating the desktop/taskbar. Occasionally it would make it through, then crash at the first movement of the mouse. I managed to remove that virus (i think) and quite a few others, over 300 infections when it was all said and done, but now i'm at a loss. I can't even get a log for anyone because the friggin thing won't allow me to open half those programs.

Everything else seems to run ok though

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 December 2008 - 02:33 PM.
Move from XP forum to Am I Infected. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hi,let's try this fix of quietman7's to try to get Malwarbytes ( MBAM ) to run and get a log. This may work for Super also.

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 NevynDragin

NevynDragin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the tip, i'll have to keep that in mind. I think i fixed the problem though.

I ran a check on some files that had on a 'suspicious characters' list and found that TDSSxxx.sys caused problems somewhat similar to what i was experiencing. I tried the fix (disabling it through the hidden devices in device manager) and i was able to restart then load up my programs. AVG, Adaware and Trojan Hunter, returned 5 virus' a piece, all different from each other. SuperAntispyware found a good 100 or so, then Malwarebytes found another 100 on top of that. I'm doing a Spybot scan now just to see what else is wrong with the hunk of junk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users