Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sytem freezes when booting in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 calli-ope

calli-ope

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Hello All,

I can not successfully boot my laptop running XP Home Edition in Normal mode. The system freezes at different times during start up, usually during the windows splash screen. I am able to boot in safe mode with networking.
I have run chkdsk which showed no errors.
I have downloaded and run spybot and removed misc tracking cookies.
I have downloaded ad aware but am unable to install. I get an error message stating that administrator has blocked access to run program.
I have run combofix and can post a log if needed.
I have also downloaded hijack this and can post a log if needed.

I'm tired of trying random fixes and decided to ask for some real help!

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:28 PM

Try running a System Restore to a date prior to this problem. Give this a try, if this doesn't work there are a couple of other options left.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 calli-ope

calli-ope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

thanks dc3,

A system restore was unsuccessful. The computer tried to reboot but hung up. After waiting several minutes I rebooted in safe mode and received a message that the restoration was not completed. I tried on 2 different restore points.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

Try the advice in this entry to see if you're infected: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

If you pass these scans, post back and we'll work on fixing the Windows issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 calli-ope

calli-ope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

Thanks USASMA,

I have tried to run all the scans you sent links to. Found some trojans, tracking cookies and some 'grey ware'. I cleaned what I was able to but some of the scanners closed unexpectedly or would not allow me to start the scan at all. I'm going to post my problem on the "i'm infected" section and get back with you if necessary. Thanks again for getting me started.

#6 calli-ope

calli-ope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:30 AM

Hello Usasma,

I had a few infections as you suspected and boopme helped me get them cleared up. Here's what we did, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/188532/am-i-infected-system-freezes-in-normal-mode/ .

I'm still having problems starting windows in normal mode. The system usually freeze up during the windows splash screen, however some times I'm able to log on but it freezes shortly after.

Thanks in advance for you time.

Kevin

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

OK, now let's see what we can do.

Can you log into Safe Mode?
Can you log into Safe Mode with Networking?

This will help us to determine where the problem may lie. While you're waiting for a response, you may want to try scanning your drive for errors (in either of the Safe Modes). Go to Start...My Computer, then right click on your C: drive and select Properties. In the window that opens, select the Tools tab, then select Error Checking. Check both boxes there and let it check your system (it'll take a good long time to complete).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 calli-ope

calli-ope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

Thanks usamsa,

Yes I can boot to Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking.

Several days ago I ran chkdsk from the recovery console and there was no errors. Should I check the drives anyway?

Thanks,
Kevin

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:19 AM

No need - the CHKDSK is nearly identical to the method I described.

Let's take a look in your Event Viewer to see if we can spot any errors around the time of the freezes. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Then click on the System entry in the left hand pane. Scroll down the list looking for errors around the time that the freezes occurred.
Then do the same thing for the Application entry.

Double click on any errors that seem relevant and copy/paste the results into your next post.

#10 calli-ope

calli-ope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

I just tried to reboot in normal mode and the system stopped responding during the windows splash screen. I then went to the event viewer and copied the most recent errors under SYSTEM. There were no entries under APPLICATIONS with today's date.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 12/23/2008
Time: 8:43:18 AM
User: N/A
Computer: KEVINLAPTOP
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AvgLdx86
AvgMfx86
Fips
intelppm
pavboot

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 12/23/2008
Time: 8:42:15 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: KEVINLAPTOP
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

Both of those errors are because you booted into Safe Mode (so they're normal).

I'd suggest going back into the Recovery Console and trying these 2 commands:

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

Press Enter after each one, and answer "Y" (for yes) to any questions the dialog may ask.

Reboot and see if it works now.

If not, then I'd suggest running a bootable hard drive diagnostic. Locate the manufacturer of your hard drive and use this topic to locate the link to their diagnostics: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

#12 calli-ope

calli-ope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

Thanks USAMSA,

I ran both FIXMBR and FIXBOOT and had no luck with my problem. Also downloaded and ran the disc check utility from FUJITSU. Here are the results.

Model Name : FUJITSU MHT2080AT
Serial No. : NN6WT4B203BE
Firmware : 0022
Total LBA : 950F8B0 h

Test Name : Extended Test
Result : PASS
Test Time : 13:14:35, December 23, 2008

The drive passed the Extended Test.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Well then, there's nothing wrong with your system! :thumbsup:

Seriously, we've probably eliminated disk problems as source of this issue - so what remains is the 3rd party drivers that load with Windows. You can check these out with the free program Autoruns ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx ) Just click on the Drivers tab once the program is open.

You can also use Driver Verifier - but be sure you've got another computer handy as this can prevent your system from booting at all.
To use it go to Start...Run...and type "verifier.exe" and press Enter.
In the next window press Next to accept the default of "Create Standard Settings"
In the next window press Next to accept the default of "Automatically Select Unsigned Drivers"
Wait while the system detects the unsigned drivers (at this point Driver Verifier will attempt to connect to the internet)
In the next window press Finish to accept the "List of unsigned drivers chosen to be verified"
Reboot the system attempting to get into Normal Mode.

If we're lucky, the system will crash and a dump file will be generated. Use this link to perform an analysis of the dump file: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Once that's done, go back into Driver Verifier and select the "Delete Existing Settings" in the first screen and click your way through the dialog. Since you probably won't be able to do this in Normal Mode, go ahead and do it in Safe Mode with Networking. This will remove the settings and will allow the system to boot without the crash.

If the system doesn't crash immediately, then run it until it does.
If you can't boot back into Safe Mode, then you're going to need your XP installation disk in order to get into the Recovery Console to disable the Driver Verifier from there.

#14 calli-ope

calli-ope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

Usasma,

I don't have access to my XP installation disk so I decided not to try Driver Verify(or should I). I downloaded and ran Autoruns but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. Do I uncheck each driver to see if its the guilty one?

Thanks,
Kevin

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

That's the problem here - we have to somehow identify the driver that's causing the problem.
Without that, then you're going to have to replace all your drivers (if they'll install in Safe Mode) to see if you can overcome it.
The best way to do this is to:
- download fresh copies of each driver you'll need
- delete the software for that device (one device at a time) from the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel
- check to ensure that the device is uninstalled in Device Manager (if it isn't, then uninstall it)
- reboot
- install the fresh copy of that driver (reboot if needed).

As a multitude of driver issues are caused by video drivers, I'd suggest that you start with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users