Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Media Center

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jojof

jojof

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

I am not computer literate. Only here because I have the same problem, and search occasionally on Google for a solution.

I have had the problem on two HP Media Center computers over a four-year span. I don't understand all the stuff you people are saying. I just want to tell you that you can watch the TV again. Please feel free to ignore me, unless you want to use the TV again until you figure a true fix. You can, you just need to keep rebooting, without the internet turned on, and do nothing else on the computer until you get it back.

Usually, it just takes one or two cold boots to get it back. Open Media Center, diminish to say OK to the error message, bring it back up, wait a second, try the TV. You only get the live TV back (and make sure to deal with it asking for the guide to be uploaded if you get that far, which means turning on the internet, and will probably require rebooting afterwards, after turning off the internet again, but not always.)

After a Windows update, it can take from six to twelve reboots to get it back. You just have to be patient, and not ask the computer to do anything else in the meantime, and don't turn on the internet. Have lots of other things to do. Don't try to open it until fully re-booted (until the yellow light stops doing much of anything). I know it is connected to Windows updates because I watch the yellow light. Don't laugh. I have Norton, and sometimes, the yellow light is just a bleep indicating it is trying to swim in the stream I have dammed. But Windows updates are the only thing that seems to stop Norton from completing its updates, and they come together. Norton can't complete update and no TV back on two or three reboots happen together after a Windows update.

It just seems to take my computer many, many reboots to fully integrate whatever Windows is requiring of it in these updates.

Anyway, you many need to get past the Norton issue to get the TV back. After a few reboots, with no TV back, turn on the Internet and let Norton be happy, or try a few more times until Norton can update.

Then keep rebooting until the TV comes back. It will. Trust me. You won't be able to set a recording, but otherwise, all is working. Recording works, because you can rewind the live TV you are watching for quite a bit of time. Everything works, you just can't access it as intended.

If I want to use the TV, I just leave 15 minutes or so ahead of time to get it up and running, unless there has been a Windows update, in which case it could take a lot longer. Time to polish the silver or something.

As I said, please laugh because I am illterate. But, really, you can use the live TV again.

Now, can someone literate explain to me in my broken language how to fix it in a way that I would find possible? Oh, I should mention that the first time it happened HP had me wipe everything and reload. And I lost everything that wasn't backed up, and it didn't fix the problem. At one point, they decided I needed a new tuner card. But that didn't work either. It isn't a hardware problem, and reloading everything doesn't fix the software problem.

Lastly, I am stupid enough to enter this post in the wrong place. It isn't where I intended it to be. I apologize.

Edited by jojof, 18 December 2008 - 09:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users