Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External USB IDE 2.5" Hard Drive Freezes PC!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saajid

saajid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hi there, I have a usb external hdd which i need to use, but when i plug it into my pc everything freezes (not responding errors, bla bla bla), so i cannot use the drive, but when i unplug the drive the pc goes back to normal and everything responds, as normal!

i have tried using the drive on several pc's, however all of them have been vista, i do not have access to xp, also the enclosure is not the problem as i have tried the drive in more than 3 enclosures with the same error, could someone help please, i would like to format the drive so i do not mind losing whatever is on it to start off with

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

I would say the hard drive is bad.
I just had one that not only froze the computer, it did some minor damage. I tried it on another computer and melted the USB cable and the hard drive case. The drive had a direct short
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 saajid

saajid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:29 PM

:thumbsup: !! thats bad but i gave this hard drive to someone else and it did work for them but it still will not work for me, so i think it may be vista or the pc's that i have tried it on. also i tried plugging it into my ps3 via usb cable (as you would on a pc) and the ps3 fails to spin the hdd for more than 2 or 3 seconds and it keeps retrying if that helps at all.

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

Could you post a link to to external HDD your having trouble with please?
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users