Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

motherboard or keyboard

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

Hi to my great family at Bleepingcomputer !!!
I have a HP Pavilion zv6000. laptop with Windows XP, SP2, 512 MB of RAM, and a AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+ 498 MHz.
The keyboard doesn't work and other strange things happen when using certain programs.
#1. When trying to use NotePad or Microsoft Word, ya can't type anything on it but it starts typing by itself. It will just pick a symbol or letter and start typing it repeatly fast untill I close out the program. If I right click somewhere on the page while it is typing by itself, a noise begins that sounds like a mini machine gun. It keeps making that sound untill I remove the box that was opened when I right clicked on the page.
If I open any page that has a box that I can type in, the laptop just starts typing a symbol or letter over and over till I close out that page.
Any time a box appears that asks me if I'm sure that I want to do an action, I get that mini sub machine gun sound.
The computer starts and shuts down fine. The media player plays music fine and I can open any program up fine. I just don't know why I can't type or why the computer is acting like it is.
I think a cousin dropped the laptop and may have broke the keyboard or motherboard. How do I find out ?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:10 AM

I tried an external keyboard and that works some, most of the time but the laptop still tries to just start typing by itself.
Then I tried LAST KNOW GOOD CONFIGURATION. That worked great for about 30 seconds. The laptops keyboard worked for about 30 seconds then went squirly again. Then it wouldn't work at all. I tried a System Restore and that didn't do anything good.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

Your reference to mini machine gun inspires me to ask: Do you have Norton Antivirus or anything Norton installed on your system?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

I'd say the keyboard needs to be replaced.
They are fairly inexpensive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:50 AM

Did you hear the machine gun noise when you tried the external keyboard? If you don't hear it, and the external keyboard works, then I agree with garmanma. The fact that the laptop may have been dropped is the crucial statement-laptops are tough, but not indestructable.

I asked about Norton for a reason. In January 2006 I noticed a noise that I called the machine gun. Over the course of the next 2 months, I investigated IRQ conflicts, keyboard buffer overruns, switched out my sound card, got a new keyboard, thought my USB hub might have something to do with it-nothing worked to get rid of the sound. Then out of the blue, I get a message from Norton-telling me there was a problem with Norton antivirus (the only thing Norton on my system) and I needed to uninstall and reinstall. So I did un/reinstall Norton. Got it updated. The message came back. I had already decided to get rid of Norton, so this time I installed AVG. Didn't take me long to realize the machine gun had run out of ammo. The only thing I could come up with was an update to Norton caused the issue. An accidental solution that no one ever thought of. That my friend, is why I ask about Norton whenever someone mentions the machine gun. Might not be the cause of your problem, but it could help someone else reading this. I suspect you don't have Norton, but I had to ask.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 December 2008 - 12:55 AM.

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:03 AM

Yes, it does have Norton on it. I am getting the Norton removal tool downloaded and I will remove it and post back to see if that fixes it. Thank you both for replying ! I sure hope its just Norton causeing the problem !!!

#7 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

Removing Norton didn't help, dern it !
The laptop does strange things !
It will stop programs that are running. If there are , say, ten items and I try to select just one of them, the laptop selects all of them, then selects one or two , then all.....etc...
Sometimes I try to click on one thing and a different item gets selected insted. Go figure !
How do I make sure it's the keyboard before I go buying/replacing it ?
Thanks again for working with me so far !!!

#8 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

How do I make sure it's the keyboard before I go buying/replacing it ?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

Troubleshooting computer situations...is mostly trial-and-error, IMO.

I don't know of a way to be "sure" until you try it.

Louis

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Because of the laptop keyboard interface, it's impossible to test it
Here's 2- These are eBay stores not private sellers

$20.00+free ship
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-ZV5000-ZX5...%3A1%7C294%3A50

$7.00+shp
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-ZV5000-ZX5...%3A1%7C294%3A50
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#11 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for your replys everyone !!! I will get on Ebay tomorrow night and buy a keayboard for this laptop. It will take about a week or so to get it and install it so I will get back with ya when I get it installed ! Thanks again !!!!

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

If you need help on how to change it just ask. Be careful removing the ribbon cable from the connector on the system board
Mark
Posted Image

#13 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for the support garmanma ! It looks like it will be another week before I can order the keyboard cause of my Christmas spending ! ooooooops !
I WILL get one ordered and we will see if this laptop will find new life !
Merry Christams !

#14 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

It looks like it will be a couple weeks till I can get another keyboard. It will happen, I'm just dealing with other things. I don't want ya to think I've abandon this thread !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users