Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix fecked my internet up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alan1987

Alan1987

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:20 AM

I ran ComboFix and i could not browse the web or talk on chat software. The modem still connected to my ISP, but i couldn't use it.

My ISP said that ComboFix modified the registry and told me to contact Microsoft. Yes, that's right.. contact Microsoft.

!!

Luckily I somehow fixed it (I have no idea how!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

There's a good reason for the disclaimer, as you have found out. May I suggest that if you are still having problems, you post your issue in the Am I Infected? What do I do? forum. Before you do, it may be a good idea to read the following topic: Before You Post About a Problem.

Regards,
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Alan1987

Alan1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

Should I post the log so you can see what else it might have ruined? (Everything else seems to be running ok).

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

Please note the blue text at the top of the Am I Infected forum.

When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix logs. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

To receive help, you should instead provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system. This information is much more useful to our helpers than a ComboFix log.

In short, no. Combofix logs are only for the HJT forum, and even then you should only use it when instructed to do so.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 Mentor Matt

Mentor Matt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

Please note the blue text at the top of the Am I Infected forum.

When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix logs. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

To receive help, you should instead provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system. This information is much more useful to our helpers than a ComboFix log.

In short, no. Combofix logs are only for the HJT forum, and even then you should only use it when instructed to do so.

I totally agree, this is a dangerous tool. I had a similar problem after running combofix my internet connection went nuts. I run also Avast antivirus.

Luckily I found a solution by googling for "combofix internet annoyance" (no quotes). There was a detailed description that solved my problem of no internet connection after combofix run. Hope that helps!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

Since you resurrected and commented in an old topic, for the benefit of anyone reading this thread, please see the pinned topic:
ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users