Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

taskbar disappears

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Ryle

Mark Ryle

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

My taskbar disappears sometimes. I right click at an empty spot on the taskbar and left click on Lock Taskbar. But then the next time I turn the machine on the taskbar might be down below the screen. It won't come up even if I left-click and try to drag it up. So I right click below the screen, thinking Lock Taskbar may have become unchecked, but the menu still has "Lock Taskbar" checked.

During a session where the taskbar happens to appear normally, I use that opportunity to drag it to twice its height. The taskbar seems to be pretty stable in this configuration. It will stay at double-height but I don't like giving that much screen real estate to the taskbar. I want the taskbar to be standard height and stay that way. Is there a way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

do you have autohide taskbar enabled

right click the start button
then choose properties
then choose the taskbat tab
the see if autohide is ticked, if it is uncheck the box and click ok

#3 Mark Ryle

Mark Ryle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

Auto-hide the taskbar is unticked.

When I posted my first post last night I had not been on this computer in a while since it is my father's. Before posting I checked the taskbar and, true to form, it was disappeared down under the screen. I got it to come up somehow, I forget how right now, dragged it to double height, then brought it down to normal again and made sure "Lock the Taskbar" was ticked. My father told me it has been behaving all day today. It has stayed at its normal height.

I should tell you, Charybdis, in the last 4 days I have had a virus removed from this computer by bleepingcomputer website. It was the Perfect Defender 2009 virus. It was a complicated process to remove it and a lot was done to the computer. Possibly something that was done may have corrected this taskbar problem, although the taskbar problem existed long before the virus infected the computer.

#4 Mark Ryle

Mark Ryle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

I just turned on the computer again 10 minutes ago and the taskbar starts out at double height again, for no reason it seems. When I left it last (in my previous post) it was at normal height.

Then I shut the computer off and turned it on again a minute or two ago. This time it came on at normal height.

Edited by Mark Ryle, 19 December 2008 - 09:55 PM.

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

The clue was that you've just had your computer cleaned after an infection. This means that some settings may have been affected.

You're on XP, I assume because you are on that forum (if you are actually on Vista you cannot do this so please don't)

Give Dial-A-Fix a go. It returns a lot of settings to default and may just sort out this one.

Download it from here - Give the link page a quick read (Again, Not for Vista)
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#6 Mark Ryle

Mark Ryle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

I downloaded it and unzipped it to the desktop. The operating system is XP.

I am a little afraid to run it because it seems to do so many things. The computer is running so good after the virus fix. The only problem it has at the moment is this with the taskbar and that was there long before the virus.

Which should I run, DAF or secedit?

When I run DAF should I click on the green checkmark to "Checkmark to Select All"? That will select everything on the list to be done. That is what I am afraid of since everything except the taskbar is fine at the moment.

Edited by Mark Ryle, 19 December 2008 - 10:40 PM.

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

Hey Mark,

Sorry I should have given you the tutorial earlier.

If you don't feel happy using this then don't. However this is how to run the program.
  • Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: Posted Image)
  • UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
    Posted Image
  • When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
    Posted Image
  • Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#8 Mark Ryle

Mark Ryle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

I decided to run the Dial a Fix program as you suggest, using your tutorial. After running it I restarted the computer. The taskbar was at double height before running Dial a Fix and it was at double height after running Dial a Fix and restarting. No surprises there.

After running Dial a Fix and restarting I dragged the taskbar down to single (standard) height. Then I right clicked in the taskbar and ticked Lock Taskbar in the menu. Then I restarted the computer again. When the computer came back on the taskbar was disappeared below the screen again.

So I right clicked below the screen, unticked Lock Taskbar, dragged it up to standard height again and reticked Lock Taskbar. But I expect it will continue in its unpredictable ways. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users