Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Okay, somethings wrong...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hivoltg30

Hivoltg30

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

Okay, I’ve already posted in the Security section and got some great advice from “boopme” then it was recommended that I post in this section, so here’s the issue;

I’m running a Compaq Presario 5000 with XP Home Edition, SP3.
Norton 2009, Spybot search & destroy, CCleaner, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware,
ATF Cleaner and SuperAntiSpyware.

I had some strange little things happening in the last few days, example: When I open a window, it opens and then minimizes immediately (not normal) and does this with all newly opened windows.
Some windows open, minimize and when you try to maximize them they won’t allow it and blink on the Taskbar about 10 times before finally allowing you to maximize them.

• Programs like Word, open up fine, but say I want to look at the desktop, minimize Word… but no; it pops right back up not allowing you to move it, which leaves you with closing it as the only option.

• Task Manager is doing the same thing, but worse!

• Open Task Manager, it opens in the maximized position and immediately goes to Taskbar, then continuously back and forth between Maximized window and Taskbar.

• The only way to stop it is to right click and close.

• CCleaner opens in maximized size and then bounces between small and large.

• I use WinRAR for work quite often and have the same “bouncing” effects while downloading or uploading.

I’ve run Spybot & CCleaner Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware,
ATF Cleaner and SUPERAntiSypware under Safe Mode over night (yes, separately). :flowers:
Nothing but a few Cookie Trackers were found...

After all of that, the original issues are still there...
The biggest problem is Task Manager, it "bounces" out of control and is 100% useless, and you don't realize how much you actually use it until its not working!

As with most other windows, if I can "catch" them by clicking on them quickly in a maximized state, they will come to a halt and are useable, but very annoying nevertheless.

Like I said, I use WinRAR quite a lot with work and research online and download lots of huge .zip and .rar files, so naturally I was thinking I picked up something through one of those... but all of the scans show nothing!
It appears the computer is Malware free, Ad free, Virus & Trojan free.

So is there something wrong with XP itself?
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

minimization and window focus changes are usually a program running in the background, i have heard of norton doing this for games but not general windows, however, try disabling norton just to see what it does.

Otherwise click on start then run and type in
msconfig
and click ok, then go to the startup tab and uncheck all the items there and click OK and restart the pc, this will usually rule out extra programs doing its

(it could also be something as simple as a stuck key on your keyboard as well, or mouse if you have a mouse with multiple buttons)

Edited by Charybdis, 18 December 2008 - 11:47 PM.

#3 Hivoltg30

Hivoltg30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

Thanks Charybdis (and of course boopme)

I opened the msconfig window and disabled everything in the Startup section, restarted and all seem to work fine, so I spent about an hour going through each individual .exe and researching it for what it actually was and its usefulness, enabling it if it was needed on Startup.
After doing that, restarted, and found the problem happening once again, so I started going through each newly enabled item, eliminating each individually and doing the restart…
After spending a lengthy time disabling/enabling & restarting, I was actually able to find the culprit!
AutoSizer 1.71
I have used AutoSizer for years and it’s a great simple program, but version 1.71 is a recent update with some glitches that I’ve learned about another forum and first hand experience.

So, for now, all seems to be working well, and clearing Startup of all the non-essential programs has sure had a positive effect on this old computer.

Thanks again!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

I'm glad to hear that you've sorted out the problem.

FWIW - MSCONFIG is intended as a troubleshooting tool, and as such you should revert to the normal startup once you're finished with it. If you need to make more permanent changes to your startups, I'd suggest this free tool: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Mrs2lots

Mrs2lots

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

The same thing was happening to my husbands computer and he unchecked everything in his startup and so far so good, but just in case, if it happens again what or how would we know if there is a key stuck on keyboard or a mouse button stuck and if so how do we take care of that peoblem.

#6 TomfromUofCincy

TomfromUofCincy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

The same thing was happening to my husbands computer and he unchecked everything in his startup and so far so good, but just in case, if it happens again what or how would we know if there is a key stuck on keyboard or a mouse button stuck and if so how do we take care of that peoblem.

Just make sure the keys are not stuck in the down position.
his best bet is to maybe do what the original poster did and enable them one by one until you find the culprit.

Does your husband use autosizer by any chance?

Tom
"Pull your tank behind me... I'm the 82nd Airborne Division and this is as far as the bastards are going." - PFC Martin "Battle of the Bulge"

#7 Mrs2lots

Mrs2lots

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

no he doesn't

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users