Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error during reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GlennCoco

GlennCoco

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

So my in-laws have been having some really strange problems with their computer, like multiple viruses. They've had it a few years and have never kept it updated or anything. They gave it to me to see if I could fix it.

I decided it would just be easiest to wipe the thing and reinstall Windows. So I insert and boot from the disc, and it is coming up with this error message:

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

I've reinstalled Windows probably a dozen times on various computers, and this has never happened to me before. I don't know what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

"Reinstall"...does that mean it's a clean install where you have deleted all previously existing XP install partitions?

Louis

#3 GlennCoco

GlennCoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

"Reinstall"...does that mean it's a clean install where you have deleted all previously existing XP install partitions?

Louis

That's what I was trying to do. It won't get that far. It looks like it wants to do that, but then eventually just stops and throws that error.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

It might be worthwhile to run a diagnostic on the hard drive, in that case.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If a long and short test is offered...do the long.

Louis

#5 GlennCoco

GlennCoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

It might be worthwhile to run a diagnostic on the hard drive, in that case.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If a long and short test is offered...do the long.

Louis

Well, I might have to do that I guess. I just tried again, and it looked like it got farther this time, I have deleted all of the partitions. I've created a new partition. When I go to format to install, it asks if I want to format quick or regular. No matter which I choose, it says:

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected...

You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
To continue, press ENTER.

#6 GlennCoco

GlennCoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

I'm not sure what to use. The computer has a Maxtor drive, which appears to have been acquired by Seagate. However, if I am reading correctly, the SeaTools on the Seagate website appears to run in Windows, which is no longer installed on that computer.

#7 davexnet

davexnet

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

There is a version called Seatools for DOS. You can create a floppy or a CD, which you can
boot from. Of course you need access to a working machine to do so.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

#8 hujorgen

hujorgen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

I had the same problem when trying to re-install XP Home on a customer system. ASUS Mobo P4C800E rev2.00.

I changed the BIOS for the hard drive from SCSI to IDE and I was able to install XP as normal.

I hope it works for others as it is a PITA (pain in the arse) if it doesn't.

Thanks to all who take the time on Bleeping Computer for the invaluable help with Malware, Hardware and just listening.

Michael
Country Computer Guy
Serving Central Minnesota since 2003
From W98 to Win7, including milking parlor computers, programming the time/date on VCRs and babysitting newborn calfs and colts.

Edited by hujorgen, 24 March 2010 - 01:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users