Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i add a hard drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mr2005

mr2005

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

is there an easy way to see if there is space to add an internal HD to my system. ITs a dell 9150 with a 108 gb main and 40 gb back up.

I would like to add a 1TB main internal. any one recommend a brand?

also, can i use to the windows disk that came with my to install windows on the new hard drive or is that a no no?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:02 PM

Open the case, Most likely it can.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

System board connectors:

Primary IDE drive
40-pin connector

Serial ATA
four 7-pin connectors

That's from the Dell site, the specs on your computer. So you can add a HDD, I would recomend a SATA since you have 7 connectors. Seagate is a good brand, I like Maxtor, but some people don't. I've never had any problems with them and I've owned a few.

As long as that is the only machine that you windows on, with that disk, you should be OK. You can't use it to put windows on another machine also, that's illegal. However, if I'm wrong, somebody will come along and tell you.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

thanks xx and wildabeast,

wildabeast, so you're saying i can add a third?

I was looking at this one from new egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136151
there is a seagate similar to that and I'm certainly not opposed to getting that one. What cables and 'stuff" would i need to buy in addition to the HD to install it?

i know enough about computers to be completely dangerous. I've added memory before, but not a hard drive?

* Am I better off just adding this drive as a third drive and leaving the other drives as is? would there be an advantage to having my largest drive run windows and programs?

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:56 AM

That looks like a nice drive, personally, I think it would be big enuff for me by itself... But, you could install your OS on the 40 gig and use the 1tb for data and all the different programs you install.

You will need a cable to hook your HDD to your mobo, you should have a power connection from your PSU to your drive. Look to make sure first. What I've done is install my OS on the only drive I have hooked up, then I shut down, hook up the other drive and restart the computer. For some reason when I install with more than one drive hooked up, my OS is always on a drive other than C: so I do it that way and save myself some head aches trying to figure out why.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:04 AM

According to this site that computer only has two bays, so you would have to use an external enclosure for a third hdd.

As far as using the installation CD to install the OS, if you have the proper product code, and if the hdd that you have the OS installed on fails you certainly can use the CD to install the OS on a new hdd.

If you are going to install this SATA hdd as the primary hdd you will want to install it internally, this will mean that you should use the storage hdd in the external enclosure. There is a good tutorial on installing a internal SATA hdd which can be read here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

ok thanks,

If i make the new HD my C drive with the OS, do i need to get anything besides my data files off my old HD? things like drivers and such i can just Download from dell after the new HD is installed i assume.

#8 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

According to this site that computer only has two bays, so you would have to use an external enclosure for a third hdd.

As far as using the installation CD to install the OS, if you have the proper product code, and if the hdd that you have the OS installed on fails you certainly can use the CD to install the OS on a new hdd.

If you are going to install this SATA hdd as the primary hdd you will want to install it internally, this will mean that you should use the storage hdd in the external enclosure. There is a good tutorial on installing a internal SATA hdd which can be read here.

dc3,
i looked at the tutorial you posted, why would I want to partition the HD? what exactly does that do?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

If you make the new hdd the C: drive with the OS you can leave the old drive (previous C:) and click and drag or copy and paste from one drive to the other. If you have any applications that you downloaded and still have the setup for it you should transfer these as well. When you go to install the OS on the SATA drive I would disconnect the old drive from the power and data connector until the new drive is recognized as the new C: drive, this just cuts down the potential for confusion.

There are two things that need to happen before you install the operating system on a new hdd, you must first partition it so that the size and number of partitions are defined, one of the advantages of having two partitions is that you can have a small partition of about 20GB on which you can install the OS and leave the second larger partition for all of you other files and applications. The beauty of this is that if you ever need to re-install the OS you can simply format the smaller partition and re-install the OS without effecting all of your files and applications. Second is to format the partition for file type, for XP you should format the partition for the OS as NTFS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

If you make the new hdd the C: drive with the OS you can leave the old drive (previous C:) and click and drag or copy and paste from one drive to the other. If you have any applications that you downloaded and still have the setup for it you should transfer these as well. When you go to install the OS on the SATA drive I would disconnect the old drive from the power and data connector until the new drive is recognized as the new C: drive, this just cuts down the potential for confusion.

There are two things that need to happen before you install the operating system on a new hdd, you must first partition it so that the size and number of partitions are defined, one of the advantages of having two partitions is that you can have a small partition of about 20GB on which you can install the OS and leave the second larger partition for all of you other files and applications. The beauty of this is that if you ever need to re-install the OS you can simply format the smaller partition and re-install the OS without effecting all of your files and applications. Second is to format the partition for file type, for XP you should format the partition for the OS as NTFS.

it looks like i can partition the HD with just xp, no additional software needed?I'm assuming i'll hook up the new HD, partition, then hook it up as the only HD and let the windows disk install and select the partition i want to install windows on.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

Yes, the XP installation CD is all that you will need. The CD will do a setup after which it will prompt you to choose the size of the partition or partitions that you want to use, it will then prompt you to choose which file system you wish to use, as I wrote before, you will want to format as NTSF. This tutorial may be of some help. You can skip down to the section Step-by-Step: Clean installing Windows XP (Interactive Setup), you can read the previous information, but you are already good to go with the installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users