Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Dead!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Talonaces

Talonaces

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

Hey all,

I have a very weird problem. My son has trashed his computer. When booting in nomal mode, after putting in password, then XP starts to boot, then it goes to a blue screen and displays some type of excepting error. It also does this when trying to start the computer in Safe Mode. The only way it will come on is in safe mode dos. I thought I'd just reformat and reinstall everything, but the computer will not boot from the CD drive. I rebooted, went to set up, and tried to set it up to boot from CD first. However, everytime I tried to unlock, it told me my adminstrator password was incorrect. I know for a fact that it was right. I also tried rebooting into safe mode with DOS, but even then, it would not see the CD drive. I know you guys cannot tell me how to "hack" my admin password, but I do really need your advice on how to get my Son's computer back up and running. I ran chkdsk in DOS and it did not find anything wrong. Please, any advice would be appreciated. The computer is a Dell Dimension 5310 running Win XP Pro SP2. Thanks in advance.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Talonaces

Talonaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

Forgot to mention, on the blue screen, the problem file seems to be a file named Beep.sys.
Posted Image

#3 Talonaces

Talonaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hello! Anyone out there. I really need help with this problem. A correction to original post, the computer is an E310. My daughter has the same computer, so I took here hard drive and installed into my son's computer and set it as master with my son's HD as slave. It booted up just fine, but it did not see my son's HD. All info I have found that would help requires access to CD or floppy. I do not have access to either on the problem system. As mentioned before, I can only boot it up in safe mode, in DOS. I need to reset BIOS so that it will boot using CD, but when I go to set up, it is requiring admin password to change the settings. I know the password I am putting in is correct, but it tells me it is invalid. Someone, please help.
Posted Image

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

Are you sure it needs a password? When the prompt comes up, just hit Enter.

Did you read this?
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...p.htm#wp1057460
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Talonaces

Talonaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

Yes, I am sure it is requiring a password. I tired the just hit enter technique to no avail. I know you guys can't tell me how to break a password, but can you tell me how to get the computer to recognize the 2nd HD? As I mentioned, I took my daughter's HD from her computer, put it in my son's computer as master, then put my son's back in as slave. I was hoping to be able to reformat his HD that way, or at least set his computer to boot from CD, but it will not see his HD. I am sure I have it connected properly. I downloaded the manual for the E310 from Dell's web site. I really need to get his computer up and running.
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Maybe the hard drive is done.

There is no trick to getting any XP install to recognize a hard drive, if the drive has been formatted with a file system XP can read.

The only consideration would be to ensure that the jumper settings were compatible if you put the two drives on the same cable. One must be master, with the other slave...OR both must be cable select. This only applies when the two drives are connected on the same cable.

Louis

#7 Talonaces

Talonaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

My thoughts are that the HD is dead. I just want to make sure. As for jumpers, neither HD has them. According to the manual, the master/slave set-up depends on how the HDs are connected, in sequence, to the cable. I took both HDs out of the case and could not find any type of jumber location on them. I connected per the the manual's instructions but the computer will not see the 2nd HD. Either the 2nd HD is dead or I am doing something wrong.
Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

Take a look at the hard drive...and post the manufacturer and model # from the label.

Louis

#9 Talonaces

Talonaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

OK! Part of the way there. I discovered that the problem file, Beep.sys, was probably infected or corrupted, and it was causing the problem. I booted in safe mode with DOS, renamed Beep.sys to Beep.old. I then rebooted and it came up normally into windows. Now, I want to reformat the HDD and reinstall to OS. The problem is that it will not boot to CD and when I try to change the settings, it asked for the admin password. I know the password I am using is correct, because I just booted in safe mode, choose Administrator, put in my password, and it worked. Why will it not recognize my admin password when I try to adjust it to boot from CD? I am running a system restore right now, maybe that will help. If not, does anyone have any ideas???
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users