Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizzare Problem!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PygmyBBQ

PygmyBBQ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

I first noticed a problem yesterday when I was playing World of Warcraft. Randomly my screen would lock, but I wouldn't even notice the spike, only hear it affecting the sound (ie. the sound would lock up and loop for a split second). I dismissed it until today i started having major problems.

I was playing wow again and those lockups were occurring but at steady intervals and completely lagging my entire computer. I realized that the source of the problem was CPU spikes that were occurring consistently. I shut down all of my programs and checked my system manager. I had no strange programs running and nothing was the deliberate cause for the spikes, but they were still occurring. Then I decided to scan my system for spyware/virii/trojans, but my computer would not open any new programs.

I tried to reset and that wouldn't happen either. I ended up hitting the reset button and my boot up screen(with my cpu and memory specs) had all these symbols at the bottom in a grey box. I reset again and my bios reset to default cpu clocking speeds.

So I restarted in safe mode with networking and started scanning my computer for spyware/virii (haven't found any as of yet). And now the spiking problem is occurring in safe mode as well. I can barely open any new programs and my cpu is consistently spiking. Does anyone have a clue what's going on? It sounds like hardware failure, but that's just a wild guess.

Also, nothing is overheating, I checked that.

Edited by PygmyBBQ, 18 December 2008 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

Download the latest drivers for your Internet Card.

~StickDude101

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hi PygmyBBQ, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:
Before doing anything, a little more info about your computer would be helpful. What is the make and Model of your machine (i.e. Dell Dimension 2400?) Have you changed any hardware recently or added/removed any programs? Have you recently updated any drivers? What programs are you scanning with, and how recently were they updated? What version of Windows XP are you running (you can find out by going to the Start Menu, clicking Run..., typing in winver and clicking OK)

With this info we can start narrowing down the possible causes of your problem and then devise a solution.

#4 PygmyBBQ

PygmyBBQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

Well, I just flashed my bios, and so far it's been running great. I'll be back if things get wacky again. Thanks for the quick replies, and the welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users