Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Virtumonde.prx, cant shake it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 Gregoir

Gregoir

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

Hello,
My system is infected with the virtumonde.prx bug. I run spybot consistently and found this bug along with a couple trojans by the same name after seeing popups I didn't ask for, etc, during internet browsing. I have removed this with spybot many times in the past days but it keeps coming back. I ran MalwareBytes' Anti -Malware and it finds such items as Trojan.vundo, etc. I performed a system restore today to a date well before I started seeing problems. The scans all came up empty after that, but then I re-engaged TeaTimer again this afternoon in spybot and the next scan found virtumonde.prx again along with the same sets of trojans. I have since disengaged it again. It seems that the trend in my scans is that virtumonde.prx is what comes back repeatedly, since I can delete the trojans with MBAM and SpyBot.

I have read and performed the scans requested in the guide post. Below are RSIT, HijackThis, and MBAM logs in that order.
Thank you very, very much in advance for your help. Please let me know if there are futher scans I should perform

Edited by extremeboy, 26 December 2008 - 08:44 PM.
Remove logs as per user's request

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hi

My name is Extremeboy (or EB for short), and I will be helping you with your log.

I apologize for the delay in response. We get overwhelmed with logs at times, but we are trying our best to keep up. If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following so I can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you do not make a reply in 5 days, we will need to close your topic.

You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favourites. Alternatively, you can click the Posted Image button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic. The topics you are tracking can be found here.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. Doing so could cause changes to the directions I have to give you and prolong the time required. Further more, you should not be taking any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself.
  • Please reply using the Posted Image button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.
  • Old topics are closed after 3 days with no reply, and working topics are closed after 5 days. If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just post back here so that we know you're still here.
Download and Run OTViewit
  • Please download OTViewIt by OldTimer.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
  • OTViewIt.txt <-- Will be opened
  • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
Run Kaspersky Online Scanner
Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner.

This scan is for Internet Explorer only.

If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select Run as administrator to perform this scan.
  • Open the Kaspersky Scanner page.
  • Click on Accept and install any components it needs.
  • The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
  • After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select My Computer
  • This will start the program and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
  • Now, click on the Save Report as button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
You can refer to this animation by sundavis.

In your next reply please include the following:
  • OTViewIt.txt
  • Extra.txt
  • Kaspersky's Log

Important Note: For other users who are reading this topic,the instructions provided in this topic are for the original topic starter ONLY. Even if you have similar problems or even log entries to those given here, please do not follow the directions, especially those involving specific tools and scripts. Doing so can result in serious damage to your computer. Instead, please start your own topic and feel free to link to any relevant topics as needed.Please Do NOT follow the instructions provided for this topic.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Gregoir

Gregoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Thank you very much for stepping in.
Here are my two logs from OTViewIT:
I have also included a recent MBAM log at the bottom. The Kaspersky scan is running and will be posted soon.

Performing the Kaspersky online scan now, will post that soon.

Edited by extremeboy, 26 December 2008 - 08:46 PM.
Remove logs as per user's request.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hello.

The Kaspersky scan is running and will be posted soon.

Thanks for letting me know. Post back when you're ready. Also when you post back the Kaspersky scan please also tell me what problems you are having so I have an idea what's going on.

Please post back with:
-Kaspersky scan
-Problems you are still having
, when you are ready. :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 Gregoir

Gregoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:07 AM

Here is my Kaspersky scan log. The scan stalled when scanning an outlook mail file (outlook.pst) so I disabled mail archives from the scan in the settings menu of the Kaspersky scan box.
The symptoms of the problem that I've experienced are slightly slower processing and uncommanded launch of websites in firefox and IE. I might be viewing one page and another opens by itself in a new window.

Remove logs as per user's request

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hello.

Yes, you are infected vundo from what I see from the logs you provided. Malwarebytes anti-malware and Vundofix that you ran that help much. They are still there. Some say it's file missing. If it was Malwarebytes would of removed the offending reg entries. Anyways we will start off with Combofix, it will help use remove most of the vundos out of the way. :thumbsup:

Install Recovery Console and Run ComboFix

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
  • Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Close any open windows, including this one.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • If you did not have it installed, you will see the prompt below. Choose YES.
  • Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Note:The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you
should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

• Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the contents of the log (C:\ComboFix.txt).
Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.
ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may call it to stall.

Please post back with:
-Combofix log
-Fresh OTViewIT log

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#7 Gregoir

Gregoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

My ComboFix Log: I'll post the OTViewIT log in mere moments.

#8 Gregoir

Gregoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

a brand new OTViewIT log first and then the Extras.txt log below that:

Edited by extremeboy, 26 December 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

Hello again.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, it's Christmas and I had to leave somewhere for a few hours..

You have another nasty infection here, that replaces the legitimate files into another folder called Bak. We are going to deal with it now, this infection is sometimes confusing for some users, but that is why we will use an automated tool (Combofix). :thumbsup:

View Point Programs Warning
Viewpoint Manager and Viewpoint Media Player is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This changed from what we know in 2006 read this article:

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546

I suggest you remove the program now. Click on start > run > and then paste the following into the "open" field: appwiz.cpl and press OK. From within Add or Remove Programs uninstall the following if they exist: Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player.

Additional instructions on remocing program can be found here.

Removing Programs using Add/Remove
Since you have the latest version of Java, having the older version can be exposed to malware.

Click "start" on the taskbar and then click on the "Control Panel" icon.
Please doubleclick the "Add or Remove Programs" icon
A list of programs installed will be "populated" this may take a bit of time.
If they exist, uninstall the following by clicking on the following entries and selecting "remove":

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Java™ 6 Update 5
Java™ 6 Update 7

Additional instructions can be found here if needed.

Run ComboFix with CFScript

We will run ComboFix again. This time, the instructions are slightly different.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are unsure how.
  • Open notepad (Start>Run>"notepad") and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:
    AWF::
    c:\program files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\bak\bak\HPBootOp.csv
    c:\program files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\bak\HPBootOp.csv
    c:\program files\iTunes\bak\iTunesHelper.exe
    c:\program files\QuickTime\bak\qttask.exe

File::
    c:\windows\Tasks\xtkipqnq.job

Folder::
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hikajawa
    c:\program files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5
    c:\program files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
    c:\program files\SymNetDrv

Registry::
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center]
    "UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Aim6"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "PCDrProfiler"=-

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2397239515-4165854321-4049666220-1008\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Aim6"=-

DirLook::
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\215579
    Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe. (This should be your desktop.)
    Posted Image
    Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you at "C:\ComboFix.txt". Post back with that log.

Do not mouseclick ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Questionable Folder

I have one question for you do you know what the folder below is??
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Desktop\erj170tutv1.zip<-This one.

It appears to be on your Compaq_Administrator accounr's desktop? If you do not know it's best to delete it, otherwise please tell me what it is.

Download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

For complete or visual instructions on installing and running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware please read this link

Please post back with:
-Combofix log
-Answer to my question
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#10 Gregoir

Gregoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

Here's the new conbofix log. I'll post back with the MBAM part soon.
The questionable folder you asked about was one I downloaded, it contains a PDF file and a txt file, it's a flight simulator tutorial.

Edited by extremeboy, 26 December 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#11 Gregoir

Gregoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

MBAM scan came up empty. the log:

Edited by extremeboy, 26 December 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

Hello.

Log looking good. The AWF infection I was talking about earlier doesn't seem to be active anymore.

Let's make sure one thing.

Please go to navigate to c:\program files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe<-Check if that file is present and tell me in your next reply please.

Also I need to see a new OTViewIT log please.

Post back with:
-Answer to my question if that file is present or not
-New OTViewIT logs

Edit: Double post...

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 26 December 2008 - 11:14 AM.

#13 Gregoir

Gregoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

The file you asked about is present. it appears as a comma separated values excel file though rather than an .exe.
Also in that folder is a folder called 'bak'. thought I'd mention it because you had said something about such folders before.
Thanks for your clear and very prompt responses thus far.
New Logs:

Edited by extremeboy, 26 December 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#14 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hello.

The file you asked about is present. it appears as a comma separated values excel file though rather than an .exe.
Also in that folder is a folder called 'bak'. thought I'd mention it because you had said something about such folders before.
Thanks for your clear and very prompt responses thus far.

I don't quite understand what you ment by "it appears as a comma separated values excel file though rather than an .exe"? Could you show me or provide a screenshot so I can see.

Thanks.

I want to see another scanner.

Download and Run FindAWF

Click HERE to download FindAWF.exe and save it to your desktop.
Double-click on the FindAWF.exe file to run it.
It will open a command prompt and ask you to "Press any key to continue".
You will be presented with a Menu.
Type 1, then press Enter.
FindAWF tool will begin scanning.
It may take a few minutes to complete so be patient.
When the scan is finished, a text file in notepad called AWF.txt will automatically open.
Return to this thread and copy and paste the contents of the AWF.txt file in your next reply

Post back with:
-Explanation on that file
-AWF.txt

Thanks. :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#15 Gregoir

Gregoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

Ran AWF as requested, log below.
The file in question had a different name in the type field than executable file. maybe thats still what it is, i dont know. screenshot attached.

Attached Files

Edited by extremeboy, 26 December 2008 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users