Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSXML 4.0 Multiple Entries - Should I be concerned?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jerry225

jerry225

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

Hello Everyone!

First I must extend my many thanks to the kind folks who run and contribute to this site. I have found many of the discussions here to be quite usefull in keeping my pc's up to par. However, I have encountered here an issue where I am not sure how to proceed. The discussions I have found through google search have produced varying results, but nothing definitive.

The problem, or at least what I think might be a problem, is that I have 5 different entries on my Add/Remove programs list for MXSML 4.0. From what I understand this is an xml enviornment/development tool, and lots of people have had problems with it. What I am not sure, is if I should remove some of the entries, or if some of them might be malicious. I am sure it is also possible that there is not a problem here. I am just concerned, based on what I have read in various forums. Below is a list of the exact entries in the programs list.

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) size 2.56MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) size 2.62MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) size 2.67MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK size 1.23MB
MSXML 4.0 Parse size 1.24MB

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hello
These are Windows security updates and updates that you have installed. You probably have the "show updates " box checked at the yop of the Add/remove program. These are not malwares.
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...;DisplayLang=en

The last..Parse in the file used to read.
The word "parse" means to analyze an object specifically. It is commonly used in computer science to refer to reading program code.
http://www.techterms.com/definition/parse
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jerry225

jerry225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

Thank you for the feedback.

I suppose I should have been a little more specific in my question. What I am really wondering is if I should remove the previous versions/entries of MSXML. While I did have updates showing, all 5 entries still appear aftering unchecking the box. They are each separate program entries, and are not listed as subentires as most updates are. Some of what I have read elsewhere implied that the vulnerabilities could be avoided by removing previous versions of the software. Also, are you suggesting that I download each of the fixes listed in those four links? Thanks again!

Edited by jerry225, 18 December 2008 - 05:32 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

Hi ,yes most times when updates are sent out by a manufacturer it is to close a security risk. As the links show they were all security updates. As threse all appear to be individual and neither an upgrade nor cumulative I would be inclined to leave these. I know that Updates to apps like java are cumulative and previious versions should be removed as risks.
You can ask about these in the XP forum and perhaps someone there may know more.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users