Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor went blinking, blinkig, blank

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dnaf

dnaf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

Yesterday we had WinWeb security malware show up on our Dell Windows XP desktop. This morning I downloaded a malware removal program I found in the malware forums and thought I got rid of it, which I may have. BUT, I did fail to reboot.

A few hours later while emailing, my monitor started blinking, blank screen, repeats, repeats and finally ended on blank screen. The green monitor light is on. I have turned off the computer and restarted, all the power lights are on, but still a blank screen (but I cannot hear the Windows music come on).

Is this hardward or a software problem? Could this have something to do with some of the residual malware problems from this morning, or just some terrible fluke timing with hardware.

My high schooler has a term paper to turn in on there that he failed to save to his flash drive (paper due tomorrow)....oh well....water under the bridge now.....

Anyway, where to start on the monitor problem.

many thanks ~ (standing by)

Edited by dnaf, 18 December 2008 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

The easy way to test a monitor...move it to another system or connect a laptop to it for visuals or replace it with another temporarily.

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

Also you could simply just disconnect the monitor from the computer.
Most monitors display a no input signal or a test pattern when not getting a video signal from the system
If you get that then the monitor most likely works.

It might help to know what malware removal program you downloaded and ran

When you turn the computer on from a cold start do you see any BIOS information or anything displayed?
Does the system beep once on startup?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users