Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank monitor due to Malware?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dnaf

dnaf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

A few days ago I had Winweb Security showing up on our Dell Windows XP desktop. This morning I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes to get rid of it, which it seemed to do (got rid of the pop ups and the symbol in the taskbar, and the slowness was gone).

A few hours later, while emailing, the screen started flashing in intervals; would go to a black screen, flash, black screen, and then finally landed dead on a black screen never to return. Not really even a black screen, just no screen, and no cursor). I have spent most of the day trying all kinds of things suggested from other sites and am on a last ditch effort here.

The monitor is green light on. I have checked all known connections and am working toward looking at a fluke timing of hardware issues. OR could it have been caused by the Winweb, or possibly I downloaded a bad program to get rid of the malware.

I really need some help here. If it's hardware, I'm taking it in. My high schooler has an entire final writing project on the desktop due tomorrow (we tried to tell him to save it on the his flash) which I'm going to have to completely retype tonight on the laptop. Ugh ~

Thanks ~

Edited by dnaf, 18 December 2008 - 04:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

The simplest way to find out if your monitor is bad is to plug in a different one to your computer or plug your monitor into a known good computer.

I seriously doubt that MBAM removed all malware from your computer. That is not a knock on MBAM. It is because you said you had malware on your computer for days and during that time it is most likely that more malware was installed.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users