Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kazaa

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 masono

masono

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:25 AM

hi, :thumbsup: could anybody tell me what kazaa/shareza are?are they necessary to the system which is xp professional or are these removeable without damage ? and where might they have come from?are there likely to be problems if i attempt to remove them or . Appreciate any advise or experience to share, :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

Hi masono

They are both Point to Point or P2P programs used to download music, videos and other things from other computers. They are not natively part of XP. Kazaa is known to include malware while Shareaza normally does not. You can remove both through Add/Remove programs safely. You will need to clean the malware left behind by Kazaa afterwards with Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D

where might they have come from

Someone has installed them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 masono

masono
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:39 AM

many thanks Leurgy. Had a feeling they didnt really belong. :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:56 AM

Your welcome masono.

P2P programs are fun in that you can get some good tunes, but I have to caution that they are among the leading source of viruses and malware through the files downloaded. Having said that, millions of people use these programs. Have a look at Clean and Infected File Sharing Programs for a breakdown on the bad and safe ones that can be used. When I say safe, I mean that they don't have any bundled malware. Cautious use of these programs won't compromise your computer, but the debate rages on as to whether this is legal activity or not.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users