Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file/folder lock/unlock

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Spacegold

Spacegold

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

I am on the prowl for a SIMPLE way of passwording any file(s) or folder(s) in the computer file hierarchy. Casual visitors snooping in my files while I might be away is the focus here. I took the problem to another forum (http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/lockingunlocking-folderfile?replies=26) and got an answer that is an alternative to what I am really hoping to find. Does anyone know of a passwording program that uses a file access request interceptor?

Here is an exerpt of the basic interest:

"I would like to be able to cruise through the file hierarchy in Windows Explorer or My Computer and right click on any file or folder, having the context menu give me a "secure" option. Clicking that would give me a password input blank which would be registered along with the file/folder name in the access interceptor's index. Upon entering the password in the input blank the closed file/folder would then become password protected. (Naturally, the "secure" option in the right click menu would have to be disabled when the password is input.) When the interceptor matched a request with an item in its index it would interupt the system from opening the item and present the user with password dialog. Successfully matching that input with the value in its index it would stand aside and let the system open or run the item. The last action is clearly exactly what Mylockbox does when the .exe is commanded to run. I guess a masterkey would also be required to defeat pranksters who might play with the "secure" in the right click menu.

I am an experienced Joe Computer, but not very geeky. The only fiddling I do with the registry is to modify it with a tested script, or clean it up with regcure. I have Home Premium w/UAC disabled because its aggravation outweighs its benefits, in my view. I seldom use the command prompt, and I try to avoid Vista's permissions jungle as much as possible. I am a defacto administrator because this is a stand alone, single user machine.

Edited by Spacegold, 18 December 2008 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users