Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless on ubuntu?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 somenoob

somenoob

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:43 AM

Hi guys/girls
I finally ended up installing Ubuntu (8.04). Problem is that the driver for my wireless network card, a D-Link DWL-510, is windows-based and therefore won't work. I've tried to find a driver for ubuntu on the net with 0 success and have downloaded but have no idea how to use WINE or NDISwrapper.
Either a link to a driver or a REALLY basic how-to kinda thing for WINE or NDISwrapper greatly appreciated! I am a complete newbie at Ubuntu so it will have to be really really really...you get the idea.
Cheers guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

Info for others trying to help you.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 6:27:37 PM (when checking page info)
Hardware That Doesn't Work with Linux
http://www.leenooks.com/page/show/DLink%20DWL-510

Then there is this: (your card is in the chart showing which cards work with the drivers mentioned)
Linux driver for Realtek's Wi-Fi cards
This is an attempt to make work some wireless lan cards on Linux (2.6) without non-opensource stuff.
More precisely cards with Realtek rtl818x MAC+BASEBAND chip.
http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

Take a look at ndisgtk. It's a graphical frontend for ndiswrapper, which allows you to use Windows WiFio drivers under Linux. ndisgtk should be available through the Synaptic Package Manager and should install ndiswrapper as well. It greatly simplifies using ndiswrapper, IMHO.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

As "buddy" stated, that card works properly if you use
the RealTek drivers. More info: http://www.samwel.tk/bart/various/dwl-510-on-linux-2.6.html

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 somenoob

somenoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

OK I went to the http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/ and it has a link to download the driver package but I can't get it to work. Ideas?

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

rtl8180-0.21.tar.gz
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...lease_id=320500

rawsig.png

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

OK I went to the http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/ and it has a link to download the driver package but I can't get it to work. Ideas?

The driver needs to be compiled first. In the archive you downloaded (rtl8180-0.21.tar.gz) there is a file called INSTALL. This file contains the instructions you need to follow to compile then install the driver.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

Gah! Steve Ballmer! Where's my stick?!

Bad Steve Ballmer! Nobody likes your software!Posted Image

#9 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

I know what I put my live ubuntu distro in I dont have wireless access because the drivers are incompatible but I just plug an ethernet cable into my router and once it connects i download the driver that it tells me to, unplug my ethernet and go online somewhere else :thumbsup:
-TJB

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

I know what I put my live ubuntu distro in I dont have wireless access because the drivers are incompatible but I just plug an ethernet cable into my router and once it connects i download the driver that it tells me to, unplug my ethernet and go online somewhere else :thumbsup:

That's really the only major drawback to using a LiveCD as your everyday OS: no changes perpetuate between boot-ups.

Have you considered installing Ubuntu on the hard drive?

#11 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

That is a valid solution. Unfortunately, due to the design of my network, simply
plugging the lappy into the router is not an easy task. As common as this driver
is this should not even be an issue.
PCLinuxOS (mini-me) and BackTrack 3 work perfectly after a few clicks and entering
my WPA key.

rawsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users