Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cleaning a psu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:38 AM

hey i want to clean my psu.
i can see its full of dust by looking at the small holes and the fan is not spinning any more.
but if i hit the fan with a pen or stick it will start going but slowly.
i heard that you can get hurt if you touch the capacitors inside the psu.
i tried cleaning it with canned air but i cant reach in it much so i cant clean it much.
i also heard that you should let it off aleast a night to get rid of electric discharge.

i got one can of canned air and is that all i need. do i need any thing else to clean the psu?
any thing that useful that wont damaged the psu would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

Those capacitors will hold a charge for as long as weeks, they will not usually dissipate overnight with out being discharged. If the fan is failing I would suggest just replacing the PSU if you can afford it, the PSU is the heart of the system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:48 AM

Well the fan has been doing this for about 2 years now.
Its a ten year old computer so i dont want to spend money on it.
I use it for some gaming (mainly starcraft and star wars games lol) and internet.
Is there a good full guide of how to clean a psu.

If i type the numbers on the psu sticker on google will any thing usefull come up ?.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

oh ya if i do clean the psu i should wear groves right? just in case if i touch a capacitor
if i touch the capacitor can it damaged it ?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

If you really want to know my opinion, from what you have revealed of yourself I would say that you have no business poking around inside the PSU. But if you persist, only remove the cover and blow it out, anything that needs blowing out can be accessed with the top removed. Do not touch anything inside, you don't need to in order to blow it out. If you are going to do this, you are going to do this with the power cord removed from the wall receptacle, right?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:54 PM

lol yes am going to do it with the power cord removed from the wall receptacle lol
i opened the computer heaps of times so if i didit do that would be really hurt or the computer wouldent work
so i wouldent be posting this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users