Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernation Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:03 AM

Hy Guys,Would some tell me, how I can find the Hibernation Box, in XP,Please.
Read that Disc cleanup, misses these Temp Files.
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:19 AM

Start> Control Panel> Power Options.

What temporary files are you referring to?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:47 AM

Hi DC3 I read this in Windows Secrets,and when I typed in, what it said, it didn't work,for me anyway.
Is this a benefit to me I wonder,or disregard? Thanks.

QUOTE.
Eliminate hibernation files. XP's hibernation feature stores everything currently in RAM onto your hard disk, which allows you to return to your session more quickly after a period of inactivity. Unfortunately, hibernation needs about the same amount of disk space as your current amount of RAM (for example, 1GB of disk space if you have 1GB of RAM).

If you don't use XP's hibernate feature very often, you can save the space occupied by the hiberfil.sys file: choose Start, Run; type powercfg.cpl; click the Hibernate tab; uncheck Enable hibernation; and click OK.
UNQUOTE.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:14 AM

Are you concerned about the amount of space that the hibernation file is using, or the fact that the file contains information of recent activities?

If you are concerned about the size of the file I wouldn't worry about it with that large hdds that are being used today. If you are concerned about it you can always disable the Hibernation feature if you don't use it. If you are using a laptop then you may want to take into consideration that this is a power saving feature. If you are concerned about the space issue, then you might be interested to know that the swap space (virtual memory) maintains a similar file which also contains traces of recent activity.

This article might prove to be interesting reading on the subject.

Edited by dc3, 18 December 2008 - 04:16 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:27 AM

I didn't know what the Hibernation file was.Just trying to get my Computer free of any junk,not required,so the OS runs as fast as possible. Thanks for the link,much appreciated,dc3. :thumbsup:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:32 AM

I suspect that even if you were to disable both of these you wouldn't notice an appreciable difference in performance.

Glad to help DSTM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users