Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you download a video from vh1.com's website?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

On the VH1 website they have episodes from many different VH1 shows. Many of these shows are 60 minutes in length.

I tried using RealPlayer but RealPlayer doesn't work.

RealPlayer allows me to download only the first 10 or 20 seconds of a video. The first 10 or 20 seconds of the video is a commercial advertisement from Target or some other store. I cannot download a vh1 video using RealPlayer, I tried many times with no luck. I guess VH1 blocks RealPlayer, it seems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:43 AM

Try it again. The ad and the actual video are separate downloads. So wait until the ad is finished and the video starts before hitting the download button. It should work unless it's DRM protected and Real Player will tell you if it isn't downloading.

#3 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

Frankp316, thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried what you suggested.

I mean I tried to download a VH1 episode a good ten times, but every time I tried it, RealPlayer, would only download the commercial advertisement, which is the first 10 or 20 seconds of the video.

I experimented: Sometimes I would alternate starting the download at the beginning, middle and end of the video, but still, it failed to download the entire video no matter when I started the download.

RealPlayer never ever 'told' me that it wasn't downloading. It went through all the motions of downloading the full video, but it never downloaded the full video.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:35 AM

Chances are pretty good that the video is DRM protected and can't be downloaded. There are no free programs that will bypass DRM. And there are programs that say they will do it but they don't work.

#5 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

there is a real player "Add on" for internet explorer that might do the trick.It is called "real player download and record plugin"...
anytime you see a video on a web page it will ask if you want to download it.
Currently there is not one for firefox,but I wish there were one,Its a neat feature!
Click tools,download plugins..in internet explorer.
let me know if it works.
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:59 PM

She's using that already. But it will not download clips that are DRM protected.

#7 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

there is a real player "Add on" for internet explorer that might do the trick.It is called "real player download and record plugin"...
Currently there is not one for firefox,but I wish there were one,Its a neat feature!
let me know if it works.

Actually Firefox does have a video downloader extension/add-on.

Unfortunately, when it comes to saving a VH1.com video, it behaves the same way RealPlayer does:

It will not recorder the video, but it wll record the commercial that's included in the video, but that is all. (Commercials from a toothpaste company, soap company, etc.)

So for downloading VH1.com videos, it's useless.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

Edited by Boardwalkgirl, 22 December 2008 - 01:17 PM.

#8 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

Unfortunately, when it comes to saving a VH1.com video, it behaves the same way RealPlayer does:

It will not recorder the video, but it wll record the commercial that's included in the video, but that is all. (Commercials from a toothpaste company, soap company, etc.)

thanks for the info!!
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

let me know if it works.

Have you looked to see if the show you're looking for is posted somewhere other than VH1? Try the Truveo video search site. And doing a Google search can turn up alternatives sometimes.

http://www.truveo.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users