Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bought new motherboard and cpu for emachines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vijay0.0

vijay0.0

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:11 PM

So after about a few weeks my desktop emachines died (still didn't find true reason why it did). I bought a new motherboard and cpu
Foxconn sis 661FX7MJ
Celeron ® Processor 430
1Gb Crucial DDR 400

so i put it all together make sure everything is plugged in and set. and start it up. It runs but the monitor doesn't show anything and sleeps, as if nothing is plugged in, the tower is still running. I unplug the monitor and there is a notification saying no signal input. so the monitor works but doesn't receive anyhting from the motherboard then? What can i do about this? and what suggestions could anyone give? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:15 PM

Did you reinstall a fresh copy of windows after installing the new motherboard and CPU?
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 vijay0.0

vijay0.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:58 AM

i was going to, however i can't see any image on the monitor

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:20 AM

Well any time you install a new motherboard you should do a fresh install of windows. Reason being is that when your hard drive starts up its expecting the old hardware to be there and when its not you will usually get errors.

Are you running onboard video or graphics card?

Were you running a graphics card on the old motherboard?

Edited by Lucky23, 18 December 2008 - 01:22 AM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:55 AM

There should at least be a boot screen. Worry about the OS install later and concentrate on hardware problems for now.

Double check RAM/CPU, seating, make sure you have both motherboard power connectors hooked up. If that fails, pull out the motherboard and make sure you don't have any extra/missplaced standoffs in the case. Try laying out the mobo with nothing but power, video, cpu/cooler, RAM installed, an short the power sw terminals to turn it on.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:51 AM

Make sure the monitor connection is secure and no pins in the cable end are bent
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 vijay0.0

vijay0.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

i checked everything, still nothing shows up on the monitor, i will try a video card from a friend of mine and see if that might work. does anyone think that it could be the power supply maybe not enough power to everything (Bestec 250W), i just noticed that the LED light on the switch lights then goes off when it turns on.

Edited by vijay0.0, 18 December 2008 - 12:17 PM.

#8 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

I would try a video card and see if that works. Reason why i was asking if you were running a card before is because when you run a card you have to disable onboard video so if thats disabled then you wont get an image unless you use a graphics card.

I had that same power supply in my old compaq. They are a very cheap power supply but normally when its going out it will start to boot and before it gets to windows the comp will completely shut down or it just wont turn on at all.

But from what you saying the comp boots just no video correct??

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

May be useful as a guide:

No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

troubleshooting No Beep No Video - The PC Guide Discussion Forums - http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39685

Louis

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

I would replace the case and the power supply.
Emachines are low end Gateways basically

My thinking is that the power supply is insufficient now that the mobo has been changed

Check the wattage on it. If it is under 450 watt (it probably will be) replace the case, which comes with a power supply for under 50 bucks

Dont reinstall Windows yet. You are not getting that far
Concentrate on the hardware issues first. Get it to Post
You will probably have to do a repair installation of XP when you get there.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 vijay0.0

vijay0.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

But from what you saying the comp boots just no video correct??

Correct

May be useful as a guide:

No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

troubleshooting No Beep No Video - The PC Guide Discussion Forums - http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39685

Louis

Thanks i will look over these

I would replace the case and the power supply.
Emachines are low end Gateways basically

My thinking is that the power supply is insufficient now that the mobo has been changed

Check the wattage on it. If it is under 450 watt (it probably will be) replace the case, which comes with a power supply for under 50 bucks

Dont reinstall Windows yet. You are not getting that far
Concentrate on the hardware issues first. Get it to Post
You will probably have to do a repair installation of XP when you get there.

Aha I need to find one thats cheaper than 50 with a 4-pin for the cpu/processor

#12 vijay0.0

vijay0.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

sorry for no reply after a while some other issues came up (not computer related)
anyways I went over the guides, I am ordering a new power supply the video card i had gotten was not able to be fitted for this motherboard.
When i receive the new power supply i will retry everything and reply when i can

Anyone think this is appropriate
power supply

Or perhaps this one

please recommend

Edited by vijay0.0, 22 January 2009 - 12:52 PM.

#13 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

First, what is the model number of your eMachines computer.

Second, these power supplies have a very high failure rate.

The eMachines model number will guide us to a suitable replacement psu.

#14 cjifish

cjifish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

Make sure your power supply is bid enough. :thumbsup:

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Emachines with the Bestec 250W PSU are notorious for failing and taking the motherboard along with it, I would suggest replacing it. Either of the PSUs that you posted links for would be fine, but I get concerned when a company doesn't provide an efficiency figure and the Apevia doesn't.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users